Open Carry Thoughts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My view on OC is "evolving". Up until now I've been a CC "get the drop" on the BG kind of guy. But, I can see some tactical advantages to OC over CC, not the least of which is speed. Gun grabs and being targeted by the BGs to be taken out are pretty statistically rare.

Another advantage to OC is it gives us 2A supporters a chance to desensitize the sheeple in the general public to handguns. The more often they see OCers acting in a responsible and mature manner, the better it's going to be for everyone.

Most BGs are looking for the easy score, the weakest link. Their tunnel vision is going to be focused on the vic, the prize.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always like to have my shirt tucked into my jeans or slacks, even if it is only a T-shirt... and with OC I like the idea of being able to get rid of my vest or a outer cover shirt. I will most likely open carry my G23 IWB in a DeSantis 105 Kydex holster.. with only the grip & CT laser showing.

One thing people open carrying need to remember is that when you are in stores.. especially some big box store like Walmart or in a quick stop or at a mall ... you will have lots of surveillance cameras throughout the store recording your every move. If you get into any kind of confrontation with any anti-gun person wanting to start a verbal argument over your OC weapon...remember to remain calm, keep your hand off your weapon and let the other person dig themselves into a hole by getting themselves recorded as having been the aggressor. Don't remind them of the cameras... most people forget about the store surveillance [just look at all the shop lifters that get caught on film/ DVD.. these people aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer or the brightest bulbs on the shelf]... just let them set themselves up for a false police report charge.

I wouldn't be surprised if some anti-gun nuts will try to get some OC'ers in trouble by falsely alleging that the OC'er brandished their weapon or did something out of line. The store surveillance cameras can be your best friend in a situation like that. And you can get the last laugh too.. as filing a false police report is a crime... and I would most definitely sign a complaint against some fool who cried Wolf to the police. If the police were to ever question me about a alleged infraction of the SDA inside a store... I'd simply say, "Let's roll the store's video tape!"

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always like to have my shirt tucked into my jeans or slacks, even if it is only a T-shirt... and with OC I like the idea of being able to get rid of my vest or a outer cover shirt. I will most likely open carry my G23 IWB in a DeSantis 105 Kydex holster.. with only the grip & CT laser showing.

One thing people open carrying need to remember is that when you are in stores.. especially some big box store like Walmart or in a quick stop or at a mall ... you will have lots of surveillance cameras throughout the store recording your every move. If you get into any kind of confrontation with any anti-gun person wanting to start a verbal argument over your OC weapon...remember to remain calm, keep your hand off your weapon and let the other person dig themselves into a hole by getting themselves recorded as having been the aggressor. Don't remind them of the cameras... most people forget about the store surveillance [just look at all the shop lifters that get caught on film/ DVD.. these people aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer or the brightest bulbs on the shelf]... just let them set themselves up for a false police report charge.

I wouldn't be surprised if some anti-gun nuts will try to get some OC'ers in trouble by falsely alleging that the OC'er brandished their weapon or did something out of line. The store surveillance cameras can be your best friend in a situation like that. And you can get the last laugh too.. as filing a false police report is a crime... and I would most definitely sign a complaint against some fool who cried Wolf to the police. If the police were to ever question me about a alleged infraction of the SDA inside a store... I'd simply say, "Let's roll the store's video tape!"
Good advice about remaining calm and non aggressive. In cases like this cameras can be your friend or foe.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

Like many here I am thrilled that OC has passed and think it is awesome that one more right has been restored for the good guys. I couldn't agree more about acting and looking like an upstanding and good citizen when OC'ing. My real hope is that Nov 1, people don't go out acting all crazy "because they can", but rather that we see a slow progression of more and more OC by people who look like good responsible citizens. This is what will change the minds of the average sheeple. I sure don't want to see a backlash where tons of no carry gun buster signs go up because of bad judgement.

Good luck,

Alan

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All of you sound great and I'm happy to hear that you all believe those that OC represent the entire group. So, if you OC keep your ego and bad attitude concealed.
Be safe and have fun

D

DodgeMan1

some one please correct me and forgive me if i am wrong but isnt the point of oc to prevent a person that is cc from being penalized for inadvertantly imprinting or brandishing with the option to openly carry

jhat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can see no good reason to open carry in a public place. Any tactical advantage is lost when the bad guy knows you have a weapon. If the BG is convinced that you have something that he wants and he sees your weapon, he will just shoot you in the back of the head. I wanted open carry to pass so that if I expose my weapon by accident, I am not violating the law. It's not about looking cool.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
some one please correct me and forgive me if i am wrong but isnt the point of oc to prevent a person that is cc from being penalized for inadvertantly imprinting or brandishing with the option to openly carry

No, that is a side benefit.

The point of OC is to restore some of our rights and give law abiding citizens a choice to carry open or concealed. There are arguments on both sides, but the open carry side is generally, it is a deterrent because criminals look for soft targets so if they see your firearm they will move on to someone else. In Oklahoma, open carry is cooler (temperature wise) in the summer because you don't have to wear a cover garment. If you are like me, you can tuck your shirt in once again...don't have to have it out and baggy. Women won't have to put a firearm in their purse for the purse snatchers to take.

There are benefits to both open and concealed carry, just listed some of the benefits for open carry since you asked.

Latest posts

Top Bottom