Open carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see that the state it going to try to pass open carry again. IMHO I personally don't see a need for open carry. I prefer to have my weapon were it can be deployed when needed, but really no one needs to know I have it any other time. I like the surprise element of concealed you are less likely to be the shooters first target. What do you think?

IMHO, I personally don't see a need for you to determine how and when other people carry their firearms. I prefer to make those decisions for myself and no one else. I like being able to choose what is best for me. What do you think?

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
hard r has stated it perfectly.

cpd23, you don't have to change a thing from the way you carry now. "Open Carry" does not mean that you have to carry openly.

oklaccer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see that the state it going to try to pass open carry again. IMHO I personally don't see a need for open carry. I prefer to have my weapon were it can be deployed when needed, but really no one needs to know I have it any other time. I like the surprise element of concealed you are less likely to be the shooters first target. What do you think?

I think you need to spend some time on opencarry.org
The perception that the open carry person is the first target is not supported by any evidence or fact. Why wait to surprise the BG when you can encourage him to go elswhere when he sees that you OC? There is tactical advantage to CC, but the strategic advantage goes to OC.

oklaccer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it should be the choice for those who have permits, but i'm sure a few will screw it up for everyone!

Why should anyone need a permit to excersize a right? Did you need a permit before posting on this forum?
As to "the few", you can follow stories on opencarry.org for a while and see that it just isn't true.

david04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It passed the legislature last year and would be the law today if only the governor had signed it. Has our new governor indicated whether she would support open carry in Oklahoma?

Keyser328

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know, I've thought about this quite a bit. A lot of folks worry that "some nutball will muck it up for us" et al.

Last summer I spent a couple weeks up in Alaska. As I'm sure most know, AK is a "constitutional carry" state, a.k.a. if you're a citizen, you can carry in any fashion you see fit - open, concealed, whatever.

I had planned on exercising my rights to do just that, but Canada sucks... and that is besides the point.

Anyway, one day we went up to the Russian River to try to catch some salmon. While up there, we struck up a conversation with another gent. As we were chatting, I took a second to survey that dude: He wore chest waders, had his tackle pouch with him, and a 44 mag revolver strapped in a holster dead center on his chest. The same chest holster rig also had bandoleer style loops with more rounds, all sporting wad cutter bullets.

It took me half a second to take in his rig, but it didn't affect me. More importantly, it didn't affect the other 100 people on the river at that time.

Open carry would invoke a lot less panic that most folks think. There might be a couple of odd looks the first week or so, but after that, people will stop noticing/worrying.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It passed the legislature last year and would be the law today if only the governor had signed it. Has our new governor indicated whether she would support open carry in Oklahoma?

Yes she has, but without reading on this year's details, I'm getting the impression that this isn't copy and paste from 2010, so depending on what (if anything has changed), she may or may not stick to her word.

Latest posts

Top Bottom