Open Carry!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Missouri allows local laws to prevail. I think you can OC in Springfeild... but down the road a little- Aurora...you can't.

St Louis proper..NO... some of the suburbs...sho nuff. I've tried to look em all up... but my head hurts so I just cover up over in Show Me land.

Arkansas in CC to. They tried to get a OC law passed but that failed this year.

Skiluvr03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, it is not a handgun. See below:

3. "Pistol" means any derringer, revolver or semiautomatic firearm which:
a. has an overall length of less than sixteen (16) inches and is able to be fully concealed from detection and view,
b. is capable of discharging a projectile composed of any material which may reasonably be expected to be able to cause lethal injury,
c. is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand, and
d. uses either gunpowder, gas or any means of rocket propulsion to discharge the projectile.
B. The definition of pistol for purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall not apply to homemade or imitation pistols, flare guns, underwater fishing guns or blank pistols.
We got into a big debate at work with the Judge pistol. It shoots a 410 shotgun shell, but the Law says .45 cal or less; where does the judge fit???

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well as I orginally suspected the only reason most people wanted this law is so you could go around and flash your firearm. Its not about "getting rights back" or "better to defend myself. Its all about bling and showing off. well have fun. I guarantee the novelty wears off soon. And the stores will get tired of seeing it and put up signs so you cant go in open carrying. Show a little restraint please.

I appreciate your sentiment here. GC. I have lived and worked in several OC states over the years.

In Michigan and Kentucky... you may see a guy at a country store during small game or deer season going heeled.
On a good day... in town you might see a J frame playing peek a boo in a IWB holster in town.

Just about every truck in North Dakota pulling a saddled horse in a stock trailer has a Colt in a loop holster on the seat... Montana and Wyoming too. I can see some of that round here when it passes.

I dont think I ever saw anyone open carry in Indiana... and just a few in Arizona.

OC is polite and discrete. People who cannot figure that out generally have problems with the public, police or business owners. Those of us who back this OC concept will be the first to educate the flock on how it's done "sucesfully" in those 40 odd states that don't have bood in their streets daily.

You professional cops know that every contact you make is a probable armed person as it is today... I can tell you, OC will not change your risk at all. Crooks will still hide their heat... and us Good folks still have to INFORM you on contact anyway.

You will get tired of those who cant get with the program and keep making calls that your going to have to educate them on... Mr... He CAN carry that gun... have a nice day. I know you will get tired of that in short order.

good luck and godspeed.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Judges have a rifled barrel... that makes it a non- shotgun in the final judgment of the gun fairy. Gun Fairy says you cant own a smooth bore pistol though... got to love Gun Fairy.

Carry on!

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what if you shoot the guy with the 410???

Stand close and stop firing if he drops. AFAIK, shooting shot in the Judge has not been an issue legally.
Balistically, it is a relatively short range load to get multiple hits.

The (in)famous pharmacist shooting trial made no issue of shooting with buckshot in the Judge, just the .380 shots after the subject was down. IANAL

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is confusing. The version I pulled up as the voted-on version has this, which is what I thought you wanted to change:
Are you saying you have a copy of what is going to the Gov that is lacking the "at first op?"

What I wrote was that on the Senate's web page... when you go to the link I posted previously... that showed the engrossed version of SB1733 that was passed today 5-10-12... and you read the version they presently have posted... on page #42 it still reads that you must notify the officer when first coming into contact with a Law Enforcement Officer ... not at first opportunity. And if that is the version they are sending to the Governor... then it needs to be replaced with a corrected version.

--------------------------------

MLR..... I live in Oklahoma...about 30 miles away across the border is a Texas town that has a nice sized gun shop.. which I frequent about once a month. The owner teaches Texas CC classes. Talking with him.. you can't even have your holster show from under your shirt or vest.. even if the gun itself doesn't pattern at all. At least here in Oklahoma, the holster could show if your shirt / vest were to ride-up.. as holsters aren't against the law to be seen... as they are sold over the counter... and are no different than a cell phone case or a leatherman tool case

I posted on the Cheaper Than Dirt FB page today bragging that the Okla Senate had just passed SB1733.. CTD offices are in Texas...I got messaged back by a employee I've PM'd with in the past....and they were all very impressed that Oklahoma is passing Texas in Pro-2nd Amendment gun laws. Up until now, Texas was being held up nationally as the premier gun law State.

Texas is really strict in its CC gun laws. The Texas license is only good for 4 yrs. You have to take refresher courses on Texas gun laws & firearms use and resubmit the certificate of training with your renewal application. The renewal license costs more than Oklahoma's.. I could be wrong but I think it is $100 for a 4 yr license versus Oklahoma's $85 for a 5 yr license. I'm definitely glad I got the 10 yr Oklahoma license last time I renewed for only $170.

My brother & sister-in-law live in Oklahoma.. but teach in Texas... so they decided to get Texas CC licenses because at the time the Texas license was accepted in more states than Oklahoma's. I think they now may be regretting not having gotten a Oklahoma license.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just noticed someting on Page 42 of the engrossed verson of SB1733.. SDA.... dealing with Police notification...

It still reads that you must notify the officer when first coming into contact with a Law Enforcement Officer ... not at first opportunity. That may need correcting before the Governors Signature.

Think I'll fire off a e-mail to Sen. Sykes and point this out.

That link is for a document from March 14.

Here is the most current version of the bill as of 4/30 - http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf/2011-12 AMENDMENTS/Amendment & Engr/SB1733 HASB & ENGR.DOC

The enrolled version that is going to the governor should be available later today.

Latest posts

Top Bottom