Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Open Carry be permissible under the law?

• Total voters

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
open carry not old west carry should be allowed. it is imposable to hide a gum 100% of the time. printing should not be illegal, some mistakes will be made. but i would settle for a statement like - reasonable care to conceal 100% should be made, with understanding glimpses may happen. this seems more doable then 100% hid.:patriot:

open carry not old west carry??? if you mean you shouldnt be able to stap a belt on with real nice custom leather with two six shooters and ammo in the belt, well i disagree. re-read the second amendment then get back to me on how open carry is illegal.

tweetr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It should be legal to open carry or concealed carry for any law abiding citizen in Oklahoma. That said I don't think it would be very practical for most.

Quite right, with an important clarification. The practicality of carry, whether open or concealed, is under the Second Amendment entirely at the discretion of the citizen, not the government.

tweetr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Skeptic-

Many frontier towns restricted open carry. Weapons were routinely confiscated at the town limits. The Right to Keep n Bear was bein infringed before Oklahoma was a state. Before the commie excuse, some here love to use, was even a twinkle in Mr. Marx's eye the now enshrined Gawd, guts n guns crowd were infringin the 2nd A.

Nice try. Under the Constitution it was perfectly legal for state and local governments to write any laws they pleased. The powers of the federal government were narrow and limited, while the powers of the states were broad and unlimited (except by their own state constitutions.) The United States Constitution limited ONLY the federal government. It in no way applied to any state (except as incorporated into individual state constitutions.)

This was true until that bastard child, the Fourteenth Amendment, applied the same restrictions on the federal government to the several state governments. This was, in my view, a completely contradictory amendment that should be repealed. But because of the Fourteenth Amendment, the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution occupies the entire question of the people's right to keep and bear arms, and prevents any firearms law of any kind or nature from being implemented in the United States at any government level from the federal government right on down to your local neighborhood association.

Now I see the problem is a strict constructionist review of the 2nd A includes the ENTIRE sentence, not just one part. Before the Founders declare the no infringe bit they state a well regulated militia. IF they had made two sentences out of the deal, n they could have easily enough, then perhaps ya could try n decouple them. But our Founders didnt, they JOINED the two ideas.

Makes for a tricky just want one half of the sentence that is AFTER the well regulated part to be the primary part.

In the rare instance that I can get a gun control advocate to settle down and make an actual constitutional argument, this is the only one I have ever heard or read. And it is completely wrong.

It is a question of simple English grammar. All of the first part of the sentence, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State," is the subordinate clause. This sentence, like any English sentence, is composed of subject and verb, which are contained in the rest of it: "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The subject is "right", while the compound verb is "shall not be infringed." The rest of the sentence provides more information. What right? "to keep and bear arms". Whose right? "of the people". So much for the main clause.

The subordinate clause in no way modifies the right of the people to keep and bear arms. It simply provides a philosophical basis for WHY the people's right to keep and bear arms is inviolate. It also provides insight as to what kind of arms are in view. These are explicitly military (militia) arms! We are not talking about duck hunting here. The arms which the people have a right to "keep" (own) and "bear" (carry in their possession) are explicitly arms for use against other human beings. Further, these arms in the hands of the people are necessary to protect the security of the state (as sovereign, whereas the federal government is limited).

Aha! you say. This is not an individual right; it is a state right through a "well-regulated Militia". Nope! See the subjective clause. It is the right "of the people" to "keep and bear arms". This right provides the means to a well-regulated militia that ensures the security of a free state. The "well-regulated Militia" is subordinate to the main idea of "the right of the people." It is simple English grammar. And our founders were excellent grammarians.

I have never seen nor read, including in Supreme Court opinions on the subject, any argument that comes even close to dismantling the simple English of the Second Amendment. All in opposition simply ignore it!

Now if some among us believe, as is disturbingly evident in this thread right here in our own Oklahoma Shooters Association, that the simple right of the people to keep and bear arms SHOULD not be an unlimited personal right, then you have recourse! Hold a constitutional convention and repeal or modify the Second Amendment! But until the Second Amendment is modified or repealed, there can be no law of any kind restricting the keeping and bearing of arms! And we don't need a court opinion to tell us so. All we need is the ability to read and understand English.

As will be evident from the foregoing, I am in complete agreement with the wisdom of the Second Amendment. I don't want it modified (or ignored) in any way.

tweetr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes. While I support the open carry petition, I really am uncomfortable with passing yet another new law. The best and only constitutional answer would be simply to repeal the 1971 firearms act! The best way to make anything legal is simply to refrain from making it ILlegal! Repeal the 1971 Oklahoma firearms act and open carry (or concealed carry, or vehicle carry, for that matter) is legal.

I just came back from visiting my brother in Albuquerque. Open carry is perfectly legal in New Mexico. For all those worried about Wild West conditions with a six-gun on every hip: how many pistol-packing New Mexicans do you suppose I spotted in three days? (Answer = zero. Goose-egg. Zip. Nada. Zilch.) My brother tells me he does occasionally see one, but it is very rare. He himself, no enemy of the Second Amendment, does not carry. It just doesn't seem practical for him. He hasn't yet seen a need.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like others have said already, I would not carry openly but would like to have the option to do so if not in a populated area. (I'm thinking of a secluded fishing spot etc.)

I would also like to know that if some astute citizen were to detect a printon my clothes or catch a glimpse of my concealed pistol and called the authorities, I would not be at risk of a charge. Other than that....Keep'em guessing I say!

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would favor open carry for conveinence during deer hunting season. I know the places I can walk into during deer hunting season with a pistol on my hip and not raise an eyebrow. But, I would prefer the comfort of not having to worry about running into a Barney Fife wanting to make an issue out of it.

That0neGuy124

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i wouldn't mind open carry to be an option personally. the only reason being that i only have a 90two and it's pretty much like strapping a brick to your body. I don't feel like having to wear a jacket or overshirt to conceal it everywhere i go. i think that being able to have a tshirt and holster on during the summertime would be nice ;-)

and as far as perps targeting the armed citizens first. i may invest in some body armor :-p you can buy it on ebay now

Latest posts

Top Bottom