Ouch! Pit bulls at it again.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of course, except I would say stats not facts. ;)

That's certainly fair.

As far as any analogy between firearms and dogs, it is lost on me and makes zero sense to me. I think it's silly on several levels and this is the last time I'll refer to it.

If I tell a firearm to stay and do not hurt anyone, it will stay there until someone picks it up and discharges it. If I tell a dog to stay and do not hurt anyone, well, then there's that whole unpredictability everyone on either side keeps speaking of...

Play the deck, folks, it's what keeps life interesting!

Last edited:

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of course, except I would say stats not facts. ;)

You have to admit that the media is playing a huge part in this skewing these stats, a dog that has a pitish look (or just unknown) is automatically a PB just like any ar/ak -ish rifle is automatically an assault rifle.

static.infowars.com_bindnfocom_2013_09_cnntitle.jpg

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet I've met and handled more dogs - no, VASTLY more - dogs than you. Doing a really quick WAG, I'll estimate that I've met and handled roughly 25,000 dogs in my more than ten years as a veterinarian.

Never been bitten by a pit. Not once. I have met a few aggressive ones and I'll be the first to admit that an aggressive pit is terrifying - but those dogs were the exception.

I guess what I'm saying is that I have the experience and first hand knowledge to say that I don't have a problem with pits.

Just speculating here but do you use greater caution when dealing with larger dogs? Might explain the lack of injury. At any rate, reading the body language will help you more than anything as it will tell you the most about an animals demeanor.

IDK why people that have apprehension towards a large and/or potentialy aggressive breed are treated like some kind of moron. My experiences with pits and other large dogs is primarily out in the country in my cattle herd when some ******* dumps a dog they can no longer handle and they don't have the stones to take care of it themselves.

It is just a matter of perspective. You see these animals in a clinical setting with owners doing their part while I see the ones that were dumped by people that couldn't handle them. It is how our opinions are formed and why people have a difference of opinion.

For the record, I do not support BSL. Just is assinine to equate the danger posed by a pit as being the same as a small dog.

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just speculating here but do you use greater caution when dealing with larger dogs? Might explain the lack of injury. At any rate, reading the body language will help you more than anything as it will tell you the most about an animals demeanor.

IDK why people that have apprehension towards a large and/or potentialy aggressive breed are treated like some kind of moron. My experiences with pits and other large dogs is primarily out in the country in my cattle herd when some ******* dumps a dog they can no longer handle and they don't have the stones to take care of it themselves.

It is just a matter of perspective. You see these animals in a clinical setting with owners doing their part while I see the ones that were dumped by people that couldn't handle them. It is how our opinions are formed and why people have a difference of opinion.

For the record, I do not support BSL. Just is assinine to equate the danger posed by a pit as being the same as a small dog.

no, it is common knowledge that small dogs are more vicious and more likely to "snap". I volunteer with the pit bull rescue and we flea and tick dipped (which involves picking up the animal and putting them in a tub of water, which is not exactly most dogs favorite thing). I specifically wanted to do all the large dogs for that very reason, the dogs that bit the most were under 20 lbs and the dog that drew blood we a chihuahua which probably was around 8 lbs (that was out of about 450 dogs).

for the record this is a thread about "the only good pit is a dead pit" so i haven't read any posts about treating people like morons because they have apprehension. In fact, the last thing i want is people who aren't familiar with "bully breeds" to own them.

SoonerDVM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Honestly, no. I'm more cautious around the little rat dogs because in my experience they are not only more likely to bite, they're more likely to bite with little warning.

Big dogs generally don't bite without giving you plenty of warning. So, I don't need to particularly cautious, because the dog has already told me if he's going to be a problem.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will see your:

And raise you a:
www.universalhub.com_files_images_2011_toughguy.jpg

www.mylespaul.com_forums_images_smilies_biggrin.gif

I don't know which one is cooler. The guy in the wife beater walking the dog or the mac daddy kicked back with the back on the handrail.

I was around a lot of pits and rots growing up. Only a couple of them seemed untrustworthy. Most would never harm anyone unprovoked. Every dog I have ever been bit by wasn't much bigger than a football. Had a shihtzu that tried to remove my buddies genitals when I was a kid. Luckily he missed and got the inside of the thigh. Cost him a trip to the Indian clinic for 10 stiches. I was told by my dad that dog ran away. I am pretty sure it didn't make it much past the ditch by the river.

The only big dog I was ever bit by was a GSD. He was provoked. It was my dads bosses dog. We had played fetch with a tennis ball and Frisbee almost every day when my dad went to return the work van at the end of the day. I was 13, dog had a fresh deer leg it was chewing on. I was just gonna play fetch as so I went to pick up the deer leg, dog growled which it had never done before, I ran. Got 4 perfect puncture marks on my left cheek. Couldn't sit right for a couple days. That is when I learned that most dogs are not approachable when they are eating raw fresh meat.

Had a coworker try to take a fresh squirrel away from a 99% Alaskan wolf. It was a bet. The guy lost kinda. He managed to get the squirrel about 12 inches from the dogs mouth. Don't know if the dog went for the squirrel or the forearm but he got forearm. descent size hunk of it at that.

The best dog I ever had was a black lab. He weighed 90 lbs and didn't have any fat on him. He was fit. He thought he weighed 9. Would sit in any bodies lap that came to the house and sat on the couch. He always inched his way up there. I might take him 15 minutes but he would convince you he was suppose to sit in your lap. He was also the most unpredictable dog around small children. He went from licking every kid he saw at petsmart to trying to take there arms off almost over night. I think the neighborhood kids thru rocks at him in our back yard when we moved into a new house when he was about 13 months old. We found rocks and cracked windows at the back of the house one day when we got home from work. Man I miss that dog. He live to be almost 8 and he got bone cancer.

Anyways any dog can be mean. They can also be the best dog in the world. They do have to understand their place in the hierarchy. I feel it depends just as much on how they are raised as the bread. That black lab belonged to my wife he was six months old when me and her started dating. She let him get away with anything and he never did respect her. He was pretty sure the hierarchy was me, him, then her.

Latest posts

Top Bottom