Ouch! Pit bulls at it again.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think Pit bull owners and Rottweiler owners should be held to higher safety and accountability requirements. (i.e. higher insurance requirements, taller fences, etc.)

Here's a statistical review covering OVER 20 YEARS of dog bites. The study records the breed, if it's purebred or mix, and (inherently over 20 years) also covers many types of owners (good/bad/mediocre).
The statistics are interesting/surprising. The DATA indicates that Pit Bulls and Rotts account for significantly more bites/fatalities - even though they account for less than 7% of dog population (Pitt/Rott combined).

http://dogbitelaw.com/images/pdf/breeds-causing-DBRFs.pdf (Vet Med Today - Sept 2000)
http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-study-dog-attacks-and-maimings-merritt-clifton.php

So if your argument is that it's not a breed problem...
...Well, your argument doesn't seem to match the study. So please provide your *STUDY DATA* to justify your position.
That doesn't mean every Pit/Rott is bad, but there is a **significantly** higher probability that something may go wrong.

https://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?130003-Big-dog-suprise!!

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The statistics are interesting/surprising. The DATA indicates that Pit Bulls and Rotts account for significantly more bites/fatalities - even though they account for less than 7% of dog population (Pitt/Rott combined).

Actually if you read the whole study entirely, you're looking at the data superficially, in which most people do. First they address that that several dog bites go unaccounted for. They also admit that certain breeds are reported more aggressively, so they fully admit the numbers might not fully represent reality. They then address that several breeds identity are subjective, and that cross breeds are even more difficult to put into a category.

Their conclusion says it all...

Although fatal attacks on humans appear to be a breed-specific problem (pit bull-type
dogs and Rottweilers), other breeds may bite and cause fatalities at higher rates

None of this is to take away from potential of a pit breed, however, if someone understands what the study REALLY says.... it actually proves that other larger breeds are just as much of a problem due to population.

24T_missilejock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 3 little kids...therefore I have ZERO dogs (or any other animals with teeth)

Newsflash: Dogs bite (regardless of breed)
Better make sure they wear their full body armor when they go outside to play too. .....................smdh @ "any animals with teeth".
This is probably the most ignorant statement Ive seen on this thread, and is why we are a nation of pu$$ies now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom