P22 (or other) for CCW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have Blue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh I have no doubt that someone will eventually die from a 22lr/mag shot, but defending yourself isn't about killing. Defending yourself is all about stopping the threat as soon as possible. A 22 under most circumstances will not quickly and cleanly stop a full grown man.

MOST (not all) gunshot victims that die do it four days after the shooting. I'm not disagreeing that bigger won't stop 'em better.

If my choice is carrying a P22 or being an unarmed peasant . . . Not too difficult a decision.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be honest; how many of you EVER carry a little P22 or similar as a CCW piece? Don't you feel that 11 rounds of Mini-mags or Stingers will suffice?

Truth be told now please....

Are you talking about .22LR in general, or in the P22/Mosquito style weapons? I have carried a .22LR when carrying anything else would absolutelypositively get me fired.

The P22/Mosquito/etc. guns are too large and not sturdy enough for the grope and thump environment. A Bobcat/Tomcat/TPH are all much more durable guns. But, in the same envelope, for not a whole lot more, you can carry the Seecamp, LCP, or Keltec, so...

The one place these little .22s really shine, is for people with limited grip and strength, ie, bad arthritis, MS/MD, etc.. The proverbial "Old Man Gun." Even that is very individualistic.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Like Soulman already said about his SW 18. I've carried it for walks in the woods when its more likely I'll run across an unfriendly snake, and I have carried my Walther/Manurhin PPK/s in .22lr when out birdhunting since squirrels are in season at the same time. Other than that, if I'm going to go small, it will be my PPK in .32acp, PPK in .380, or one of my Colt 1903's, but I do prefer to carry something larger.

To the person who posted the thread about the guy in NYC who got shot 21 times, I suggest you read the artical again, and you'll find it was an issue of shot placement that kept him out of the morge.

Sharingan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first carry gun was a walther p22.. I loved that gun, although, as previously mentioned rimfire cartridges aren't trustworthy enough ( FOR ME ).

However the biggest thing wasnt the cartridge reliability (EVEN THOUGH IT MIGHT HAVE NEEDED TO BE!, lol)

I noticed I can shoot a .45 better than a .22 :/ - Dont ask, I know...First firearm I ever shot was a .50 cal custom built, and quite literally when in descending caliber order down from there, so I guess im ass backwards with recoil absorption and how you should have learned to shoot. I shoot larger calibers excellent and smaller calibers can sometimes widen my groups by about 2-3 inches, its a mental thing I assume. But something I eventually need to work on, however I never really thought fixing it or doing anything about it since I dont really notice recoil.

My luck is im going to be caught in the thick of something with a 17 hornet somehow, lol.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first carry gun was a walther p22.. I loved that gun, although, as previously mentioned rimfire cartridges aren't trustworthy enough ( FOR ME ).

However the biggest thing wasnt the cartridge reliability (EVEN THOUGH IT MIGHT HAVE NEEDED TO BE!, lol)

I noticed I can shoot a .45 better than a .22 :/ - Dont ask, I know...First firearm I ever shot was a .50 cal custom built, and quite literally when in descending caliber order down from there, so I guess im ass backwards with recoil absorption and how you should have learned to shoot. I shoot larger calibers excellent and smaller calibers can sometimes widen my groups by about 2-3 inches, its a mental thing I assume. But something I eventually need to work on, however I never really thought fixing it or doing anything about it since I dont really notice recoil.

My luck is im going to be caught in the thick of something with a 17 hornet somehow, lol.

Is it maybe the size and weight of the guns being smaller and lighter with smaller calibers that throws you off? If that's the case, I wonder how you would do on something like one of those 1911 22LR pistols or maybe a centerfire gun with a conversion on it?

Sharingan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it maybe the size and weight of the guns being smaller and lighter with smaller calibers that throws you off? If that's the case, I wonder how you would do on something like one of those 1911 22LR pistols or maybe a centerfire gun with a conversion on it?

That is absolutely an excellent question, because I am beyond interested myself.. I have been spotting the .22lr slide kits.. I want to find out that answer as well, especially with my own 1911 that I already feel comfortable with. Not to mention wouldnt mind saving the ammo for .22 , .45s expensive, lol.

I cant quite be sure what it is, I am a slender individual with large hands. I get excellent control on the contact points of the handgun, and sometimes might be trying to get too much grip control on the piece expecting it to kick more than it will. This is just a guess by the way. Who knows, Ill have to eventually buy a small caliber and practice till its all perfect. **shrugs**

Chas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always carry a 22LR revolver and a box of cartridges concealed in my truck. I never carry it as a primary and only as a backup when in the woods or fishing. Most of the time it's 3rd string.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh I have no doubt that someone will eventually die from a 22lr/mag shot, but defending yourself isn't about killing. Defending yourself is all about stopping the threat as soon as possible. A 22 under most circumstances will not quickly and cleanly stop a full grown man.

While I understand and agree with your point, and the threat may not be "stopped," a victim standing his or her ground, pulling out a evil black handgun :) and firing up to 10 rounds his direction will most like cause the assailant to turn tail and run.

Most criminals are cowards, and if you are mugged/assaulted and present a firearm in defense, it will be effective as they flee. That is not so much a comment on the effectiveness of this caliber, but really about the effectiveness of being an armed citizen in general.

A home invasion is another story, but this was about CCW. Carry the largest caliber and largest round (in grains) in whichever weapon YOU are comfortable and competent with. If that's a .22 then cling to it. If you can move to something larger, do it.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I understand and agree with your point, and the threat may not be "stopped," a victim standing his or her ground, pulling out a evil black handgun :) and firing up to 10 rounds his direction will most like cause the assailant to turn tail and run.

Most criminals are cowards, and if you are mugged/assaulted and present a firearm in defense, it will be effective as they flee. That is not so much a comment on the effectiveness of this caliber, but really about the effectiveness of being an armed citizen in general.

A home invasion is another story, but this was about CCW. Carry the largest caliber and largest round (in grains) in whichever weapon YOU are comfortable and competent with. If that's a .22 then cling to it. If you can move to something larger, do it.

Well, I really don't want to rely on the bad guy running away at the sight of my gun. I agree with what you said on carrying the the largest caliber that you are comfortable with and with which you are the most familiar. I just don't know why someone would want to carry a 22 caliber gun when they could pick up something like the Ruger LCP in .380 and have a gun heads and shoulders above the 22. Yes the 22 is cheaper to practice with, but how much value do you put on your life?

Latest posts

Top Bottom