P22 (or other) for CCW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This has been a very interesting thread since I am kind of in a dilemma over this choice with my wife. She fractured her wrist and elbow in an accident several years ago and has a hard time shooting anything larger than a .22LR. I have let her try my J-Frame .38 and a friend’s Kel-Tec .380 and Ruger LCP .380 and she just cannot shoot them without a lot of pain. She can shoot a .22LR without much problem, but the other calibers are out. I thought about letting her try a .32 ACP, but haven’t yet. Any suggestions?

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally prefer knives. Plus they are easier to carry ;)

I can realistically practice with a gun or a hammer. How do you practice short blade without access to human cadavers? How do you know right angle, speed and pressure to do any considerable damage to a clothed human? So-called experts waving a plastic knife in the air for twenty years?
If you done any butchering - you'll know that there are more ways to do it wrong than right. Does that make any sense?

This has been a very interesting thread since I am kind of in a dilemma over this choice with my wife. She fractured her wrist and elbow in an accident several years ago and has a hard time shooting anything larger than a .22LR. I have let her try my J-Frame .38 and a friend’s Kel-Tec .380 and Ruger LCP .380 and she just cannot shoot them without a lot of pain. She can shoot a .22LR without much problem, but the other calibers are out. I thought about letting her try a .32 ACP, but haven’t yet. Any suggestions?

22 WMR.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Well, it may be painful, but if she can keep it on target.......it's not like she's going to be shooting competition with it. :anyone: In a sitation where she's defending her life, I bet she won't fuss too much about 5 shots of .38 spl. :twocents:

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
one of my less enlightend kin insists on the P22.

Now, the little Walther is a cheap date and loads of fun... but this one fails to feed or eject 4 or 5 shots of 50.

Bad hands and dislike of recoil fueled this persons choice pistol for a CCW.

They did not touch this gun for nearly a year... a change in circumstances soliticted a refresher from me... to touch over all aspects of use regarding this little .22

I found out this person had never loaded the mags for this gun (even at a CCW class... the instructor did it to keep things moving along)
We spent several minutes covering the mechanical safety.... "forward or "up" to fire is obviously a baffling concept.

Muzzle awarness... after I got "swept" the 6th time or so....lesson over.

I did not offer to go out and let this person get some trigger time... they ingnored or could not absorb the basics.

Would I carry a .22? Yea... but I can land several shots to CM if the gun works... and I have tested the gun and ammo enough to be confident it will work. I guess some folks are OK with the illusion that "having a gun" is all it takes to live through a bad scene.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're right, for you it's not your choice of firearm. But my wife (for example) does not carry. If she would carry even just a P22, I would feel much better for her. But yes, I obviously would prefer the PK380 over a P22. But I prefer the .22 to being unarmed. According to one of our most reverent and qualified pro-gun scholars, brandishing alone has a 98% effectiveness in quelling an attack.

If you are trying to convince me a .22 is a poor choice for carry, you are wasting your time. I understand this. I agree with you. No need to waste breathe trying to persuade me. But again, if that is all someone will carry... then at least they are armed.

But why a .22? The Kel-Tec P-32 is probably the easiest gun to carry ever invented. It's significantly smaller and lighter than a P-22. It has a lighter DA trigger than a P-22. It carries almost as many rounds as a P-22 (8 vs. 11), and I'd trust a centerfire .32ACP for carry far more than a rimfire .22.

Even if a person didn't have the hand strength to rack the slide on a P-32 (which is no harder than a P-22 with the hammer down), there's a Browning .380 with a tip up barrel available on the used market that can be carried cocked and locked.

There is simply no valid argument for carrying a .22 in today's gun market. Every niche that could be filled with a .22 can be filled better with a more powerful centerfire handgun. I would also say that there's no valid reason for carrying a .25 ACP either.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
But why a .22? The Kel-Tec P-32 is probably the easiest gun to carry ever invented. It's significantly smaller and lighter than a P-22. It has a lighter DA trigger than a P-22. It carries almost as many rounds as a P-22 (8 vs. 11), and I'd trust a centerfire .32ACP for carry far more than a rimfire .22.

Even if a person didn't have the hand strength to rack the slide on a P-32 (which is no harder than a P-22 with the hammer down), there's a Browning .380 with a tip up barrel available on the used market that can be carried cocked and locked.

There is simply no valid argument for carrying a .22 in today's gun market. Every niche that could be filled with a .22 can be filled better with a more powerful centerfire handgun. I would also say that there's no valid reason for carrying a .25 ACP either.

The safety on the Beretta is similar to the 84/85 series, once engaged it drops the hammer, so first shot is DA with remaining shots SA. The model your referencing is the model 86. So no reason to cock hammer prior to loading on the 86. Release barrel lock insert round, close barrel, insert full mag, and your ready to rock, same for the Beretta Tomcat, and their other tipup barrel design's, except for the 950 series, where you can load with hammer down, but you'll have to cock hammer prior to firing.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not a chance. Not even for dogs.

If my choice is 22 or nothing then yes of course. Given the size of an LCP I see no real reason to go with a .22 over a .380.

Latest posts

Top Bottom