PA Trooper shooting/ambush - this is THE criminal Holder's DoJ has been waiting for

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shouldn't this pelvic shot have been center mass?
Maybe, maybe not. I remember being told a story, years ago, about an African (from Kenya, maybe, or possibly Rhodesia) game warden who got shot in the chest and left for dead by a poacher. IIRC, it collapsed his lung, but the tough old bird was still able to move, and tracked the guy down--but his shot wasn't center of mass, it was to the pelvic girdle. On purpose. Then the warden left him for dead and went to a hospital.

Not only did the pelvic shot leave the poacher immobile, but it also made his chances of survival very low due to infection from being gut-shot. Not a pretty way to die...

JamesP82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not. I remember being told a story, years ago, about an African (from Kenya, maybe, or possibly Rhodesia) game warden who got shot in the chest and left for dead by a poacher. IIRC, it collapsed his lung, but the tough old bird was still able to move, and tracked the guy down--but his shot wasn't center of mass, it was to the pelvic girdle. On purpose. Then the warden left him for dead and went to a hospital.

Not only did the pelvic shot leave the poacher immobile, but it also made his chances of survival very low due to infection from being gut-shot. Not a pretty way to die...

You make an excellent point. In this case, shooting to wound is a possibility. He had just got a shot on an officer attempting to render aid that, luckily, he missed.

The likelihood of a pelvic shot being fatal would be unlikely in this case, but would be effective at immobilizing the target and possibly create more targets.

My next point would be that the article makes it seem like he was immediately a suspect. How often does anyone instantly become a suspect in a case like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Defnestor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You make an excellent point. In this case, shooting to wound is a possibility. He had just got a shot on an officer attempting to render aid that, luckily, he missed.

The likelihood of a pelvic shot being fatal would be unlikely in this case, but would be effective at immobilizing the target and possibly create more targets.

My next point would be that the article makes it seem like he was immediately a suspect. How often does anyone instantly become a suspect in a case like this?

About as quickly as anyone who's car was found poorly hidden with empty shell casings in it

JamesP82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd agree that's a pretty good start on being a suspect.

Authorities have been looking for Frein since.

They haven't found him. But, on Monday morning, a man walking his dog in a wooded area of Pike County noticed a green Jeep slightly submerged in a retention pond, according to the affidavit.

As he walked closer, he noticed no one was inside.

But when troopers executed a search warrant, they found a cache of items inside: two spent .308 cartridge casings, camouflage face paint, military gear and "various information concerning foreign embassy's," the affidavit aid. They also found Frein's driver's license and Social Security card.

Makes it sound like he was a suspect before the found the vehicle.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Makes it sound like he was a suspect before the found the vehicle.
I'm not following your logic here. If it's because they got a search warrant, I'd expect no less--it wouldn't take long under the circumstances, they knew that they were looking for a cop killer, and they had a vehicle apparently abandoned under odd circumstances. I'd be surprised if they didn't get search warrants for just about every abandoned vehicle they found in the area around that time.

airpowmech

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I been following this on a board from PA, and one of the posters is a state trooper. They did not have a suspect until they found the jeep. From what I hear where the jeep was found is very swampy so the Frein might have mistakenly gotten stuck in the mud there.

JamesP82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It may just be the way I'm reading it. My understanding is that he was a suspect and being search for before they found the vehicle. My take is that he was a suspect and the vehicle just helped to confirm the suspensions.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If this is an even somewhat intelligent guy it seems ultra-highly unlikely that he leaves his identification in the vehicle. I feel like I'm reading the story from the movie Shooter with Wahlberg.

Latest posts

Top Bottom