What is the state law on producing I.D. on demand from law enforcement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Kern County squad car thing was a bad joke. And it's proof stuff on the internet never dies. No cars went on the street that way. Really piss poor judgement not only to do that but also to take pictures and send them all over the web.

But I can see the humor in it.
Me too. They got their decals from a local company that called and wanted to know what to put as their motto. Again, the deputies did it as a joke. It was all over the LE community and received the laughs and concerns of the LE community.

Just like this one.

donutland.jpg

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did we ever figure out what the state law is on producing one's ID on demand from Law Enforcement?
From an attorney's website.

https://www.bryanterrill.com/do-i-h...ot a “stop,merely to satisfy their curiosity.

POSTED IN CIVIL RIGHTS,CRIMINAL LAW,PRIVACY ON NOVEMBER 25, 2014

Citizen-police encounters often begin with an officer asking for identification. People generally provide this information without questioning the legitimacy of the request. In circumstances where a citizen does question the officer, a typical response is generally, “because I’m a police officer,” or “because I said so.”

But what if the officer is wrong? What if he is not entitled to your identification?

Two things will generally determine if the officer is legally entitled to know who you are. First, do you live in a compulsory identification state? If so, then you must provide your identification upon request. Currently there are approximately 24 states that have so-called “stop and identify” laws that require citizens to provide their identification when asked by police.

Oklahoma is not a “stop and identify” state. In other words, you are not required to reveal your identity to anyone– including a police officer– merely to satisfy their curiosity.

The second issue is far more common. If you are suspected of committing a crime, the police may lawfully require that you reveal your identity. How do you know if you are suspected of committing a crime? Ask the police officer if you are free to go. If so, then you can also maintain your privacy.

If you satisfy the two criteria above, e.g. (1) you do not live in a compulsory identification state; and (2) you are not suspected of committing a crime, then you may lawfully decline to reveal your identity to the police.

This does not mean that the police will not arrest you; some less professional or untrained officers will view the assertion of your constitutional rights as a challenge to their authority and decide to arrest you anyway. If this happens, you have a valid claim against the officer for violating your rights as secured by the Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution.

I'm still looking for the state statute in regard to this.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of course the humor is all you see. And no it was not a bad joke, it was and still is how they feel about their Citizens.

Oh, FFS. Yeah...that's all I see. I can see where you get that after I stated it was a bad joke and showed poor judgment and leadership. This is why we can't talk like adults. Because you can't be objective and you can't even recognize objectivity. I was commenting strictly on the photo incident. Unlike you, I don't have insight into the inner workings of the entire department and the thoughts and intentions of all those who've worked there, or still work there. I don't know anything else about the department. I also refuse to condemn an entire department on a single moment of bad judgment buy some members of the department. Not their proudest moment. But, unlike you, I have a sense of humor and can also see the prank for what it is. And you're damned right I think it was funny.

Since judging is something you seem to do I'll go ahead and make my judgements about you based on this thread. You're a sanctimonious blowhard. You're like a certain poster on here who engages in name-calling and other less than stellar type behavior in one post and then posts about the wonderful things he does at church in the next. So I know all I need to know about you. Since that's the way you seem to like to operate, I'll play.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh there is that term troll again, since that seems to be my name on here, I guess I will respond. I hope the good Cops out number the bad ones. And you say that they do and you say that no one hates a bad Cop more than a good one, and that you don't stand by and allow whatever they are doing to continue, can I ask what you do to stop them or prevent their behavior?
Document, document, document, no recorders in my day, then report them.

I reported a highway patrolman who took my cuffs off of my drunk driving arrest and beat the guy's nose in the PD bathroom because my drunk spat on him. Henceforth the trooper was stationed to Boise City, Oklahoma. If you have ever been there you know that is the last outpost before you are fired. I also have to say that incident was n't the only deciding factor for him to be moved out to BFE, Oklahoma.

A deputy I worked with found a bottle of liquor that was unopened and opened it, poured out a little bit then wrote the guy for open container.

This shiiit just rubs me raw! I took an oath and by damn, if I had to sacrifice my job because I stood on principles so be it.

This was inside my clipboard and I saw it every day. It reminded me of why I did what I did and how to conduct myself.

Law Enforcement Code of Ethics​

As a law enforcement officer, my fundamental duty is to serve the community; to safeguard lives and property; to protect the innocent against deception, the weak against oppression or intimidation and the peaceful against violence or disorder; and to respect the constitutional rights of all to liberty, equality, and justice.

I will keep my private life unsullied as an example to all and will behave in a manner that does not bring discredit to me or to my agency. I will maintain courageous calm in the face of danger, scorn or ridicule; develop self-restraint; and be constantly mindful of the welfare of others. Honest in thought and deed both in my personal and official life, I will be exemplary in obeying the law and the regulations of my department. Whatever I see or hear of a confidential nature or that is confided to me in my official capacity will be kept ever secret unless revelation is necessary in the performance of my duty.

I will never act officiously or permit personal feelings, prejudices, political beliefs, aspirations, animosities or friendships to influence my decisions. With no compromise for crime and with relentless prosecution of criminals, I will enforce the law courteously and appropriately without fear or favor, malice or ill will, never employing unnecessary force or violence and never accepting gratuities.

I recognize the badge of my office as a symbol of public faith, and I accept it as a public trust to be held so long as I am true to the ethics of police service. I will never engage in acts of corruption or bribery, nor will I condone such acts by other police officers. I will cooperate with all legally authorized agencies and their representatives in the pursuit of justice.

I know that I alone am responsible for my own standard of professional performance and will take every reasonable opportunity to enhance and improve my level of knowledge and competence.

I will constantly strive to achieve these objectives and ideals, dedicating myself before God to my chosen profession… law enforcement.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From an attorney's website.

https://www.bryanterrill.com/do-i-h...ot a “stop,merely to satisfy their curiosity.

POSTED IN CIVIL RIGHTS,CRIMINAL LAW,PRIVACY ON NOVEMBER 25, 2014

Citizen-police encounters often begin with an officer asking for identification. People generally provide this information without questioning the legitimacy of the request. In circumstances where a citizen does question the officer, a typical response is generally, “because I’m a police officer,” or “because I said so.”

But what if the officer is wrong? What if he is not entitled to your identification?

Two things will generally determine if the officer is legally entitled to know who you are. First, do you live in a compulsory identification state? If so, then you must provide your identification upon request. Currently there are approximately 24 states that have so-called “stop and identify” laws that require citizens to provide their identification when asked by police.

Oklahoma is not a “stop and identify” state. In other words, you are not required to reveal your identity to anyone– including a police officer– merely to satisfy their curiosity.

The second issue is far more common. If you are suspected of committing a crime, the police may lawfully require that you reveal your identity. How do you know if you are suspected of committing a crime? Ask the police officer if you are free to go. If so, then you can also maintain your privacy.

If you satisfy the two criteria above, e.g. (1) you do not live in a compulsory identification state; and (2) you are not suspected of committing a crime, then you may lawfully decline to reveal your identity to the police.

This does not mean that the police will not arrest you; some less professional or untrained officers will view the assertion of your constitutional rights as a challenge to their authority and decide to arrest you anyway. If this happens, you have a valid claim against the officer for violating your rights as secured by the Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution.

I'm still looking for the state statute in regard to this.
Reasonable suspicion of possible criminal activity is a loophole you can drive a truck thru. “There’s been lots of car break-ins in this neighborhood, so you’re detained & show me an ID.” Granted, there also has to be articulable facts specifically related to the suspicion, but I wouldn’t want to go to court to prove it just so I don’t have to show my ID. So absent OK having a clear ID law like Tx (38.02), we essentially have to ID if detained.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Assholes fits both.
Back when JD Sharp was the OK County Sheriff, I knew a couple of deputies who worked for him, and one told me about an incident involving the Valleybrook PD, a notoriously bad outfit that basically thrived on being a speed trap and harassing the attendees of their numerous naked lady joints. (True but funny aside--Valleybrook had to refund a metric buttload of money collected from tickets written by cops operating radar units that were not kept current on their calibrations--and the officers weren't kept current on their certifications to operate them, either. Oops.)

This was 25 or so years ago, back when Crossroads Mall was still a going concern, and things were really hopping around the mall during the Christmas season. A couple of OK County reserve deputies had gone there to do some Christmas shopping (off duty), and were sneaking out the back way to avoid the traffic snarl out the main exits. This took them through Valleybrook, and being in a personal car, it got the attention of Valleybrook's finest.

He pulls them over and asks for license and insurance, so the driver pulls out his wallet, which has his reserve deputy badge in it. VBPD's finest then pulls him out of the car, cuffs him, and stuffs him in the back for impersonating an officer. Then he says to the other guy, "I bet you have one, too," whereupon he produces his reserve deputy badge, and promptly gets cuffed and stuffed for impersonating an officer.

This is when VBPD's finest makes his fatal mistake. He takes the two to OK County to book them.

The guy telling me the story said the Lieutenant walks in on the scene and just about comes un-freaking-glued, and tells VBPD to get his men un-cuffed immediately or he's going to be spending the night in the county lockup.

Fast forward to the next day, and JD calls in all the deputies and undersheriffs, and they take a field trip to Valleybrook, where they proceed to arrest everyone in the Valleybrook PD. They haul them back to OK County, fingerprint them, and inprocess them, then set them all down in a room and JD comes in and tells them "this is how it's gonna be."

I don't know about what happened under the doofus who replaced JD a few years later, but OK County never had any more trouble with Valleybrook on JD's watch.
My son got a DUI from those clowns in valley brook without having a single beer. He was the DD and took it seriously. Cop charged him with DUI and the other three guys with public drunk without a breathalyzer test being performed.
That was prior to their takedown. City court upheld the officer when they appeared in court.
If anyone requires dates, judge or WTF ever, it’s on you. Pm me and I’ll give you the name.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Document, document, document, no recorders in my day, then report them.

I reported a highway patrolman who took my cuffs off of my drunk driving arrest and beat the guy's nose in the PD bathroom because my drunk spat on him. Henceforth the trooper was stationed to Boise City, Oklahoma. If you have ever been there you know that is the last outpost before you are fired. I also have to say that incident was n't the only deciding factor for him to be moved out to BFE, Oklahoma.

A deputy I worked with found a bottle of liquor that was unopened and opened it, poured out a little bit then wrote the guy for open container.

This shiiit just rubs me raw! I took an oath and by damn, if I had to sacrifice my job because I stood on principles so be it.

This was inside my clipboard and I saw it every day. It reminded me of why I did what I did and how to conduct myself.

Law Enforcement Code of Ethics​

As a law enforcement officer, my fundamental duty is to serve the community; to safeguard lives and property; to protect the innocent against deception, the weak against oppression or intimidation and the peaceful against violence or disorder; and to respect the constitutional rights of all to liberty, equality, and justice.

I will keep my private life unsullied as an example to all and will behave in a manner that does not bring discredit to me or to my agency. I will maintain courageous calm in the face of danger, scorn or ridicule; develop self-restraint; and be constantly mindful of the welfare of others. Honest in thought and deed both in my personal and official life, I will be exemplary in obeying the law and the regulations of my department. Whatever I see or hear of a confidential nature or that is confided to me in my official capacity will be kept ever secret unless revelation is necessary in the performance of my duty.

I will never act officiously or permit personal feelings, prejudices, political beliefs, aspirations, animosities or friendships to influence my decisions. With no compromise for crime and with relentless prosecution of criminals, I will enforce the law courteously and appropriately without fear or favor, malice or ill will, never employing unnecessary force or violence and never accepting gratuities.

I recognize the badge of my office as a symbol of public faith, and I accept it as a public trust to be held so long as I am true to the ethics of police service. I will never engage in acts of corruption or bribery, nor will I condone such acts by other police officers. I will cooperate with all legally authorized agencies and their representatives in the pursuit of justice.

I know that I alone am responsible for my own standard of professional performance and will take every reasonable opportunity to enhance and improve my level of knowledge and competence.

I will constantly strive to achieve these objectives and ideals, dedicating myself before God to my chosen profession… law enforcement.
Thanks for posting the 'Law Enforcement Code of Ethics' Snattlerake. It's more clear now why I could never be a cop . . . that thing about having an 'unsullied private life' :blush::laugh6:

Latest posts

Top Bottom