painting guns, yay or nay?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sponge paint camo because, why not? When it gets scratched up, touch up is easy to hide to where you never knew it was there.

ETA: This thing was bubbashopped to the extreme by my late step dad. It had an old Bushnell holosight that stuck way up in the air on it, mounted to a weaver rail that had ZERO screws (there ain't any holes for them) and I nuked the bluing getting it all off (JB Weld). Then he fashioned an abortion of a UGE! leather cheekpad and used nails to hold it on the stock. Some Oxpho Blue, wood filler and Krylon...It looks better now and is actually shootable.

IMG_0302.jpeg

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great job on both! I eyed that ride when you were out here.

Eyes are playing tricks on you as you seen the other camo car the Toyota corolla which has a "reptile" camo job
The link below with more pictures.

the same angle as the camo geo metro.

1725505525313.png

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I don't like the look, but I understand why a camo shotgun is desirable in a duck blind or hunting turkey.

As to refinishing a used gun - the quality of the work and products used will have a lot to do with the effect on resale value. If you do an armature job and it does not stick, chips, or rubs off easily, you just made something ok into a problem.

When I see an aftermarket paint job my first thought is what kind of damage are they trying to hide.
Same with a matt finish on a blued gun that should not have been matt.

Your toy, your paint.

Veritas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Painted rifles are great. I’ve done a rattle can job but I prefer professional cerakote. It protects the gun more than almost any other finish (as in from rust, I don’t care about scratches) and it makes a dramatic difference in visibility. Nothing stands out more than a black gun at night.

Also, if you have ever sat a black rifle down in the sun in the summer and gone to pick it back up an hour later, it can be a painful experience, paint helps with that also.

As far as resale value, I will say I don’t tend to paint historical or collectible guns. So for example, an original FN FAL won’t get the paint but a DSA FAL clone that are a dime a dozen would.

Latest posts

Top Bottom