painting guns, yay or nay?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
mini.jpg

My Mini gets treated pretty rough. This is the last iteration of paint. (Duracoat) It's a West-Texas inspired pattern.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Painted rifles are great. I’ve done a rattle can job but I prefer professional cerakote. It protects the gun more than almost any other finish (as in from rust, I don’t care about scratches) and it makes a dramatic difference in visibility. Nothing stands out more than a black gun at night.

Also, if you have ever sat a black rifle down in the sun in the summer and gone to pick it back up an hour later, it can be a painful experience, paint helps with that also.

As far as resale value, I will say I don’t tend to paint historical or collectible guns. So for example, an original FN FAL won’t get the paint but a DSA FAL clone that are a dime a dozen would.

Not to pick nits but original FN FALS made by FN were Paint over Parkerizing DSA rifles depending on pedigree are either all park or a mix of park and paint .

Veritas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not to pick nits but original FN FALS made by FN were Paint over Parkerizing DSA rifles depending on pedigree are either all park or a mix of park and paint .
You’re right, just to clarify I wouldn’t paint it more as a concern over impacting value versus the protection it provides.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It looks like a spray paint huffer dripped gold paint on a frikkin G Lock 22.

Then out loud I will say, "Wow, that looks great @zghorner!"
this gun wasn't painted...it wasnt even manufactured.

it was manifested from the quantum realm by a crip gang member on martin luther king ave in OKC.

legend has it when the gun is held, one of the shooters incisors also turns gold and an insatiable desire for colt 45 malt liquor is instantly felt.

words can hardly describe its power.

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
this gun wasn't painted...it wasnt even manufactured.

it was manifested from the quantum realm by a crip gang member on martin luther king ave in OKC.

legend has it when the gun is held, one of the shooters incisors also turns gold and an insatiable desire for colt 45 malt liquor is instantly felt.

words can hardly describe its power.
Now that’s a tale I like.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not all dimes are the same or worth the same amount of money , remember that and spray your paint accordingly.
I definitely get that and have some that are painted and some that aren’t.

I painted both my hunting rifle and the rifle I use in run n gun competitions since they both get banged around and knicked up. Both have higher end barrels and parts but I also don’t plan to ever sell them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom