painting guns, yay or nay?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mainly meaning AR15s, or even bolt action hunting rigs. I can see the benefits of not having a black gun that stands out like a sore thumb, but if you are someone that has gun adhd is it really worth it to possibly hurt the resale value? And I don't mean cerekoting or something like that I am talking camo spray paint from the wal of mart or low d does.......
I paint any long gun that is for field use. People lose their crap over rattle canned firearms and accessories. But the whole point for me is first barrier against moisture and second because sometimes I like to hide from things in the most serious manner and cut down on as much glare as possible. Rattle can it, use it, re apply when needed. But people will want to lowball you for stuff thats painted which just proves in my view, their lack of in field use of equipment. Its a freaking gun made to shoot and use. The GIs of WW2 and Korea would call us idiots for babying Garands and 1911s that they beat the hell out of and shot a lot. And they would probably support rattle canning things (along with the old cowboys of the 1800s) had they had the ability. 😂

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I paint any long gun that is for field use. People lose their crap over rattle canned firearms and accessories. But the whole point for me is first barrier against moisture and second because sometimes I like to hide from things in the most serious manner and cut down on as much glare as possible. Rattle can it, use it, re apply when needed. But people will want to lowball you for stuff thats painted which just proves in my view, their lack of in field use of equipment. Its a freaking gun made to shoot and use. The GIs of WW2 and Korea would call us idiots for babying Garands and 1911s that they beat the hell out of and shot a lot. And they would probably support rattle canning things (along with the old cowboys of the 1800s) had they had the ability. 😂

Is it cooler to say rattle canned vs spray painted? I’ve always wondered about that.

Almost Jack Burton

Not the real Jack Burton but close.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I let my daughters rattle anything they decide they want to

Attachments

• IMG_20240527_125402191.jpg
    IMG_20240527_125402191.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240527_125420090.jpg
    IMG_20240527_125420090.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240527_125429863.jpg
    IMG_20240527_125429863.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240509_152251556.jpg
    IMG_20240509_152251556.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oddly enough just a few decades ago there were quite a few WWII vets that had tables at various gun shows and they seemed quite keen on preserving Garands.

Perhaps in a combat situation things would be different, but covering up a historical piece like that is silly, IMHO. I guess the upside is it makes well-preserved collectables worth that much more.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

painting guns, yay or nay?​

Paint guns, like the Binks I have seem ok.
But IMO, there's pros/cons with them like with any air sprays. Including airless and even brush or roll on... ;)
I know, I'm a smartazz.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mainly meaning AR15s, or even bolt action hunting rigs. I can see the benefits of not having a black gun that stands out like a sore thumb, but if you are someone that has gun adhd is it really worth it to possibly hurt the resale value? And I don't mean cerekoting or something like that I am talking camo spray paint from the wal of mart or low d does.......
Re-sale Value? Hmmm…. That phrase isn’t in my vocabulary.

Frank Pope

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a CZ82, best factory trigger ever, they were not blued or parkerized, some sort of painted finish. Like 95% of them, when I got it, it looked like it had been dragged behind the truck. Had it professionally Kera Coated, should last forever.

Attachments

• DSCN1008.JPG
    DSCN1008.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1009.JPG
    DSCN1009.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Top Bottom