Pawnee Winter Run 'n Gun - Jan. 18, 2014 - Pawnee, OK - Sign up now!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the summer run, I had a bottle of water sitting on the back of my truck and took a quick drink as I ran by it but that was all I needed and on this run, I carried one 20 oz water bottle and took a few drinks but had at least half the bottle left over at the end. I did hydrate like crazy the day before though. I am sure I could have easily done either one without any water till the end but I didn't have any wait time either. What was more surprising about my run was that I didn't have to stop to pee....and at my age, that is a big deal!

Damn man, are you half camel or something?

osupoke

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The rifle has a surgeon action, 24" Krieger barrel can't remember profile, jewell trigger, Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56mm with harris S bipod 6-9 inch. The key items that I think you are looking for are the bottom metal (where the clip goes) I got it from Stocky Stocks link below it uses accuracy international magazines. I had purchased the stock and the bottom metal from them, the stock was already inletted for the bottom metal.
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-610/M5-Stealth-DM-M24/Detail
I used the tab biathlon sling there is a simple version for $65 I have flush cups on both sides of the forearm of my rifle and one on the rear of the stock (installed just for this event). I slung this over a hydration back (mainly for a layer of padding between me and the rifle. If someone is carrying a back pack this may not work so well but should go well with a chest rig. to shoot the standing I unfastened the front mount and went under the rifle over the barrel and reattached the sling. This shortened the sling enough so that I could quickly sling up by using the sling for support it is easy to hold the rifle free standing while doing a mag change and working the bolt. Rifle unloaded weighs just over 14.5 lbs, sling would add another pound. Just a heads up I just completed an intense 12 week gym work out, leg day included squats 4 sets of 6, front squats 4 sets of 8, leg press 4 sets of 10, lunges 4 sets of 12 and calf raises. I try to pause exactly 1 min between sets and normally superset the leg press and lunges.
I hardly ever do cardio but the workout itself brings its own cardio into play. I bring this up because I knew I was in good physical condition to carry the rifle but some of my early 1/2 mile loaded down pre runs (mile round trip) left me with second thoughts about carrying a bolt gun.

Well, that's certainly a nicer rig than I've got in the works! I'll probably have to stick with an AR for now. My fundamentals are shaky enough I could miss with a heavy bolt gun just as good as I did with my carbine! Thanks for sharing your setup though--gives me more projects to ponder...

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Speaking of fundamentals... I couldn't help but notice not very many shooters completed the 500 yard stage. I happen to know of a great fundamentals-based weekend marksmanship course called Project Appleseed that is quite inexpensive yet provides top notch instruction... it is designed to teach all the skills necessary for a shooter to hit any man-sized target out to 500 yards from field positions. Coincidence? :wink2:

Check out the Appleseed links in my sig for details. Our next one is in Stillwater (just down the road from Pawnee) on Feb.22-23. No matter your skill level, you can benefit from some coaching on the fundamentals. Also, we shoot Army Qualification Tests at Appleseed, and they are just plain fun! If you shoot Expert, you get our Rifleman's Patch. We use an older AQT from the 50s-60s, and it ain't exactly easy to get that patch! Cost is $60 for the weekend. It WILL improve your run 'n gun performance.

osupoke

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hensch, I'd love to go to the Stillwater Appleseed and Lord knows I could use it, but my wife places a pretty high premium on my Saturdays. Having just spent one in Pawnee and already telling her I've got one booked in July, I'm not sure if it's in my best interest to try for a weekend in February! I might see if I've got any extra vacation days; if I could make it up to her mid-week I might be able to pull it off.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hensch, I'd love to go to the Stillwater Appleseed and Lord knows I could use it, but my wife places a pretty high premium on my Saturdays. Having just spent one in Pawnee and already telling her I've got one booked in July, I'm not sure if it's in my best interest to try for a weekend in February! I might see if I've got any extra vacation days; if I could make it up to her mid-week I might be able to pull it off.

Bring her with you. Instruction is geared for 25 meter range, she can shoot .22.
BTW - women often learn very quick (no bad habits yet) - she may outshoot you!

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^ Exactly -- Appleseed is a very family friendly event. Bring the wife. Even unskilled shooters will get a lot out of an Appleseed weekend. Another big part of Appleseed is the history. We tell the true story of April 19, 1775 -- the day the British government tried to disarm Americans, and had their best troops sent packing by farmers, shopkeepers, and other everyday folks. It is an often forgotten part of our country's heritage that we are trying to keep alive, along with the heritage of marksmanship.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great event! I did a lot better than I ever thought I would for my first time in any shooting competition. The extra two miles I ran because I got lost in the beginning gassed me though. A couple of suggestions for next time:

1) Use Runkeeper on your day-before RO test runs.
View attachment 35389

Again, this was awesome. I'm so sore, but it was totally worth it. Can't wait until July.

do you have the data file for the entire course? can you upload it to the thread or pm it to me? and last, what type of file is it?
Thanks.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know, we failed to get a OSA group photo again...we need to do that next time, right after the brief before the ROs head off to the shooting stations.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know, we failed to get a OSA group photo again...we need to do that next time, right after the brief before the ROs head off to the shooting stations.

That is a good idea. I signed up for the Appleseed course today for next month in Stillwater. I think one of my sons may come with his girlfriend too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom