Pawnee Winter Run 'n Gun - Jan. 18, 2014 - Pawnee, OK - Sign up now!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We lased the pipeline marker that was right behind the target right at 500 yards. I'd say the target is at least 480 yards anyway. I was using my same 500 yard dope from a few weekends ago and getting hits.

As for Stage 6, yes, I think it was quite a bit shorter than 300 yds. IIRC 300 would actually have been all the way to the far tree line behind that last target. Like it says on the website, distances are approximate, and the course of fire may vary from what is posted! I also ended up using my 200m (220 yd.) hold to get the hits.

I can't really blame my performance on that stage on an inaccurate range call... I was just absolutely wiped by the time I got there. I actually got the very lowest score on that stage out of everyone who completed it... which, with our percentile scoring system, means I got 0 points for the stage! Oh well, I was the 5th best shooter overall, so I'm not too disappointed.

FYI the scores are now posted on the website for public download.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, if you learned some things about how you need to improve yourself and/or your gear in order to be more effective, then the event was a success as far as the organizers are concerned. :)

I am definitely going to be more squared away physically for the July event. It makes for good motivation for keeping those New Years resolutions!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ran out of steam about halfway through due to my lack of running for the past several months, and possibly the fact that I stayed up all night the night before and didn't have anything to eat all day. ]

I can see a problem here. Why would you not eat and drink gallons of water prior to a match that absolutely requires it?

I do understand match directors have massive amounts of pressure, but you can't deny your body the things it requires to participate.

Not being critical, just wondering.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I came in 3rd shooting, 28th running, and 13th overall. Once I get some hiking boots and a chest rig you guys are in trouble!

Go Mitch! I was 20 lbs lighter at this match than the last one and ran a lot more on this one but ended up 15th in the run, whereas I was 12th in the summer match. I think a lot of people got in better shape for this one or the heat was slowing them down in the summer. I think I shot a couple hundred rounds a day for 4 of the 5 days before the match and it helped for sure. I was dialed in well on the rifle. If that long shot was 500, then the wind must have been changing the impact. I was shooting into a quartering wind sighting and away from a quartering wind at the match. That may have been the difference. I carried the same rig/guns for this one that I did on the last. It fit well and never chaffed and carried all the stuff I needed. I bought the dump bag at the last match and used it then and it is a real good item to have. Was able to dump mags and loose ammo in it and then reload on the go. Also carried my water bottle in it. My plan is to be another 30 lbs lighter by the summer match. I got a bet going with my daughter and if I don't meet my weight goals, I have to write a $100 check to PETA and she says she is sharing it on FB. I am motivated.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, if you learned some things about how you need to improve yourself and/or your gear in order to be more effective, then the event was a success as far as the organizers are concerned. :)

That's 100% right on.
This is a competition, no doubt, but more importantly it measures your effectiveness when tired, stressed, and under a time limit. No run n gun can hope to prepare you for a genuine zombie apocolypse, but it'll help. Get off the couch, step away from the shooting bench, and get serious about improvement.

I ran a pistol I had only recently purchased and fired twice. Didn't matter, 'cause I'm a pretty poor pistol shot. So my take-away from this is a resolution to improve pistol work.

But man, I had a great time! Can hardly wait until July!

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After reading your comments Daniel, I am really curious if anyone lasered the targets and have an accurate reading on the distances. By my rifle dope, I was shooting way high on the 500 and had to bring it down to hit it. My guess on it would be closer to 400 than 500.

I'm still a noob to the long range game (maybe 500 isn't considered long range, but it is to me LOL). But combined with the wind, what effect would shooting across a valley or depression have on the trajectory of a bullet at 500? Could that have something to do with hitting high on a 500 yard holdover?

As for my gear, the biggest change I need to make is an integrated hydration bladder for my chest rig...I used the best camelbak I had and dealing with all those straps just plain sucked. I reworked my pistol carry from the summer event and ran a brand new G19 (always shot subcompacts before this) in a new retention belt holster. Other than one stovepipe on Stage 5 I'm pretty happy with that set up (not happy with the stovepipe but I'll have to see if it repeats).

I'm not too high on my scores (2nd in shooting, #18 overall) because I know the RO group has some really good shooters/movers in it and they ran the course after/during a full day of work setting up the course...not exactly an even match up.

I like the fact that the targets aren't KD...requires thought and evaluation on the fly versus robotic holdovers. I also like the difficult terrain and the possibility of getting off track because again it requires thought, otherwise we could just put all the shooting stages next to each other and make shooters run on a treadmill like gerbils in betwen stages.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, shooting across a depression affects the bullet trajectory, and i agree about having estimated target distances that force the shooter to make decisions on the fly under pressure. This is not a 3 gun match.
I know my hold over was around my normal 400 yard elevation when i got hits.

I was not happy with my shooting. I trained more on the physical and not enough in the shooting leading up to this. I know it will take alot more of each for the summer event. I wont make a final decision on gear for the summer, but i am pretty sure i am going to do it without armor, and with more water. At Thunderbird i had consumed all my water by stage 2, at Pawnee i still had water at the end using the same bladder.

Tentatively it is planned to have a 5k and 10k course for summer. For those of us who enjoy the suck i believe you will be able to run both back to back as an option.

shakyhand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shakyhand, I guess I didn't see you in all the coming and going; I don't remember seeing anyone with a 14.5 lb. bolt gun. That makes me extremely curious because I briefly entertained the idea of running a pretty heavy bolt gun. Mine would be tough because it doesn't have detachable magazines. What exactly was your rifle setup?
The rifle has a surgeon action, 24" Krieger barrel can't remember profile, jewell trigger, Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56mm with harris S bipod 6-9 inch. The key items that I think you are looking for are the bottom metal (where the clip goes) I got it from Stocky Stocks link below it uses accuracy international magazines. I had purchased the stock and the bottom metal from them, the stock was already inletted for the bottom metal.
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-610/M5-Stealth-DM-M24/Detail
I used the tab biathlon sling there is a simple version for $65 I have flush cups on both sides of the forearm of my rifle and one on the rear of the stock (installed just for this event). I slung this over a hydration back (mainly for a layer of padding between me and the rifle. If someone is carrying a back pack this may not work so well but should go well with a chest rig. to shoot the standing I unfastened the front mount and went under the rifle over the barrel and reattached the sling. This shortened the sling enough so that I could quickly sling up by using the sling for support it is easy to hold the rifle free standing while doing a mag change and working the bolt. Rifle unloaded weighs just over 14.5 lbs, sling would add another pound. Just a heads up I just completed an intense 12 week gym work out, leg day included squats 4 sets of 6, front squats 4 sets of 8, leg press 4 sets of 10, lunges 4 sets of 12 and calf raises. I try to pause exactly 1 min between sets and normally superset the leg press and lunges.
I hardly ever do cardio but the workout itself brings its own cardio into play. I bring this up because I knew I was in good physical condition to carry the rifle but some of my early 1/2 mile loaded down pre runs (mile round trip) left me with second thoughts about carrying a bolt gun.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, shooting across a depression affects the bullet trajectory, and i agree about having estimated target distances that force the shooter to make decisions on the fly under pressure. This is not a 3 gun match.
I know my hold over was around my normal 400 yard elevation when i got hits.

I was not happy with my shooting. I trained more on the physical and not enough in the shooting leading up to this. I know it will take alot more of each for the summer event. I wont make a final decision on gear for the summer, but i am pretty sure i am going to do it without armor, and with more water. At Thunderbird i had consumed all my water by stage 2, at Pawnee i still had water at the end using the same bladder.

Tentatively it is planned to have a 5k and 10k course for summer. For those of us who enjoy the suck i believe you will be able to run both back to back as an option.

In the summer run, I had a bottle of water sitting on the back of my truck and took a quick drink as I ran by it but that was all I needed and on this run, I carried one 20 oz water bottle and took a few drinks but had at least half the bottle left over at the end. I did hydrate like crazy the day before though. I am sure I could have easily done either one without any water till the end but I didn't have any wait time either. What was more surprising about my run was that I didn't have to stop to pee....and at my age, that is a big deal!

Latest posts

Top Bottom