Phone Spammers ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.C. Kerns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My cell phone is registered with the national "Do Not Call" registry, but I continue to get a variety of spam/scam/rip-off calls, day and night. At one time the frequency was over thirty calls a day, with me working a job where I had to answer every call because it might have been business.

The majority of these calls are from one particular individual, with a South Asian accent. Caller ID shows numbers from all over the U.S. One call might originate in Las Vegas, the next from New York, another that same day from Florida. Most recent was from a non-existent area code.

All the same voice, different scam offers. Sometimes wanting me to buy a time share. Some to "Congratulate" me that my "Loan Application" has been approved. Twice to warn me that arrest warrants had been filed for me and that I needed to send money to stop these warrants being executed.

I have tried being polite and asking him to not call any more. I've been rude and ordered him to stop calling. Finally, I have taken to turning my phone off for most of the day. I turn it on from time to time just to check for messages and missed calls from those I want to talk with.

It seems to be having an effect. I think if he calls enough times and gets ZERO response, he might think this is no longer a working phone and give up on me.

The "do not call" registry is useless, as these "people" are simply criminals and do not care. They can hide their identities and real locations and phone numbers, so it does no good to report them to authorities.

The only thing I've found is to turn off my phone, but that causes me to miss calls that are important to me. My phone is supposed to be for my benefit, not a burden to me.

Okay, got this off my chest. Just needed to rant. But if anybody here has had a similar problem..... how did you ever get it resolved ? I really don't want to change my number. That would be a hassle all on its own.

Thanks for reading, friends.

JC

DeeJay

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use the caller ID and never answer if I do not recognize the phone number (not in my contact list) or especially if the caller has his name or number blocked. Never answer them because then they know there is a real person at the number called.
If those are legitimate calls, they will leave a message. If I keep getting calls from the same number but no message, I block that number.
These are all on my land line, I don't get spam on my cell phone following the same rules as above. Also, I almost never give out my cell phone number as a contact point except to friends and relative. Probably most important to not include cell phone numbers when signing up for services, shopping, forums, etc. online!

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CallMaster to control who can call/text, Agent to turn the ringer to silent while driving or sleeping unless it's someone in my approved list and google voice has worked well for me. I use the google voice number for anyone and anything that I don't feel the need to have my actual phone number and let it's if your not on my list you have to say your name function weed them out. Anything that may get through can be filtered with CallMaster and for a peaceful nights rest Agent sets my phone to silent. People on the approved list can ring through after sending a text with the word "Urgent" to my phone. Agent also auto responds to calls when driving with a text that I am driving and will get back to them when I am done. They can also use the "Urgent" text to get through if it is an emergency though and it reads off the texts automatically when I receive them but only while the drive mode is active.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hand the phone to 3yo granddaughter and tell her it is Santa. It is amazing how long some of the a$$hats will stay on the line.

The 'do not call' list expired and available numbers was opened to cells on 9-1. Did you reregister?

Darva

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are some of the #'s you have been rcving calls from? Can you post them? Chances are you are on an automatic dialer list. Cell phones are illegal to be placed on an auto dialer.

J.C. Kerns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm ignorant and uneducated about the lists, blockers, etc. I get calls from random numbers. Almost never the same number twice. But things are getting better since I've been leaving it turned off. I think and hope that when they call and get NOTHING, they'll quit calling. Seems like that is happening now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom