Phrases that you hate.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Big Woopee!

My grandpa used to tell me, "the beauty of the English language is that there is a word that means exactly what you want to say. Find it and use it." We're also not shy about stealing words from other languages when we don't have our own word that fits.

I'm genuinely curious as to why people who can express themselves clearly irritate you, other than some general anti-intellectual dislike of people with book learnin'.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
hahaha and most of these. My joke at work a few years ago was when I needed a certain type of pliers I asked for the "Alternative lifestyle pliers" to which I got a blank stare and a WTF? So I stated I didnt want any HR complaints for offending anyone. Again a blank stare and I said, please pass over the Dykes. lol

I call them "my lesbians" lol.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I call them "my lesbians" lol.

At a job I used to have, I used to have to work on electronic crap in office building elevators. I used to love telling whatever intern was assisting me to "hand me the dikes" because it made the other people in the elevator really obviously uncomfortable.

"Dikes" is short for diagonal cutters. It has nothing to do with the slur against lesbians. Hypersensitive haters gonna hate.

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My grandpa used to tell me, "the beauty of the English language is that there is a word that means exactly what you want to say. Find it and use it." We're also not shy about stealing words from other languages when we don't have our own word that fits.

I'm genuinely curious as to why people who can express themselves clearly irritate you, other than some general anti-intellectual dislike of people with book learnin'.
Yep, I reckon thats me alright, if you mean that, stuffed shirts give me a pain in the rear. But I too am genuinely curious. Given, what your Grandpa told you is true, why is it then necessary. to turn to other languages? Why not "find it and use it"?

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, I reckon thats me alright, if you mean that, stuffed shirts give me a pain in the rear. But I too am genuinely curious. Given, what your Grandpa told you is true, why is it then necessary. to turn to other languages? Why not "find it and use it"?
Languages are made of other languages. Thirty percent of our vocabulary comes from French. Take out the French, German, Greek and Latin and we'd be left with grunts and jestures.

Latest posts

Top Bottom