Phrases that you hate.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lil'

"Hey Girl!"

"I'm in it for the right reasons"

Using "like" every other word. My wife does this; She wonders why I don't listen to her.

When we were kids, every time one of us would say like our dad would repeat it several times as if it didn't make any sense. We got tired of being corrected and stopped using it inappropriately. I will actually do this to people who overly use it as well(I'll give someone who lets it slip once or twice a little leniency).

OSU_Chris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"It is what it is." (This is for ignant fools who have run out of adverbs to use to describe a situation.)
"Now, let me be clear..." (This is from the King of Ignant Fools, the Organizer-in-Chief himself. He uses this pompous verbage when he wants all of his koolaid-drinking toads and Libtard vunnables to wake up from their Thunderbird-induced coma, stop watching The Price Is Right and start paying attention so he can tell them whose right-wing butts to kick.)

Not because of a particular phrase, but on principal, I just hate Bob Costas.

I would add:

Walmarts (said when my ex-in-laws need to go to Walmart: I'm goin to walmarts, need anything?)
No Sense of Urgency (said by any jerk wad that wants to tell me I am not working fast enough.)

So glad I don't punch a clock anymore.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cringe in awkward embarrassment for the speaker when I hear someone say "totes" instead of "totally." It is bad enough when people over-use "totally," but it makes me want to stick an ice pick through my eardrums when I am subjected to someone saying something like "those rims are totes awesome," or when they envy someone, "I'm totes jelly." I am surprised nobody mentioned this one yet, with everybody hating on all the other latest hipster phrases.

I find it annoying when people put hashtag this or hashtag that (a word or conglomeration of words with a number sign before it) after their comments. Actually I find the word "hashtag" itself to be pretty damn annoying.

I hate when people, especially journalists, start sentences with "and." This seems to be highly prevalent among NPR hosts. "And a good morning to you." I could probably fill a whole page of this thread with annoying things that NPR hosts do, but that one sticks out.

Maybe this is just me being regional-ist, but I hate when somebody pronounces the word house like "hoose."

Probably the number one thing that irks me is when people use the collective we... especially when it is used to express an idea I abhor. "In this country WE have decided that everyone deserves a certain minimum sustenance." I don't know who the fawk this mythical "we" is, but it sure as hell doesn't include me. I usually respond with one of Ayn Rand's favorite retorts: "speak for yourself, brother."

Along these same lines, I hate when people refer to something in highly euphamistic terms; like when spending the proceeds of coercive taxation is referred to as "investing in _____; or when forceful redistribution of wealth is referred to as "helping ______." Investing and helping are things a person does voluntarily -- not at the point of a gun, you fascist piece of ****.

Verdigris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't believe we're page 20 and "We'll head 'em off at the pass!" hasn't been mentioned.

Sorry...Love that movie.

Any phrase created by the need to feel politically correct. I always feel the need to quote Shakespeare "A rose by any other name...". Which I'm sure will now make someone else's list in this thread.
I hate it when people use the word 'epitome' to mean 'best'.

Latest posts

Top Bottom