Pistol for bears?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A short barrelled pump shotgun is out of the question? If you need to defend yourself against a bear then that means he's already running at you. Your target is bouncing around not really giving you much to shoot at.

They make bear loads that are enough. But shot placement is critical. As I said, he's already running at you and that's a tough shot to make with a handgun.

Especially if you're crappin' in your drawers.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Grizzly bears can run from a standing start up to 25 MPH in 6 seconds and can cover over 109 yards in 6 seconds.

And they are not readily found in Colorado. You just have little browns and blacks. The big guys are further north. Some of the hot 180gn LSWC from Buffalo Bore or similar medicine in your .357, should be fine for those smaller bears typically found in Colorado/New Mexico.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pistols for bears? Why do you want to arm a bear?

Dude...in the Constitution! 2A man...the right to arm bears!

Are you some kinda pinko commie? Give the bears their guns!

I ran into a bear once in California...litteraly ran into it. I was about 15 years old playing capture the flag late at night at a retreat up in the mountains, came running around the back corner of the cafeteria and smacked into the backside of a bear eating out of the dumpster. I backpeddled faster than I've ever moved before...I don't think the bear even pulled its head out of the trashcan it was munching out of.

...and that's my worthless contribution to this thread!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish I could find the story to link to it, but a guy and his GF were hiking in Montana, and were confronted, charged, and bitten, by a Griz. He had a 1911, 10 rounds of 230gr ball. It took all 10 rounds to kill the bear, and the hikers suffered some pretty bad injuries.
I'm onboard with your .357 being good to go for black bear.

But, just for your own sake....file that front sight off, just in case.:hey3:

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish I could find the story to link to it, but a guy and his GF were hiking in Montana, and were confronted, charged, and bitten, by a Griz. He had a 1911, 10 rounds of 230gr ball. It took all 10 rounds to kill the bear, and the hikers suffered some pretty bad injuries.
I'm onboard with your .357 being good to go for black bear.

But, just for your own sake....file that front sight off, just in case.:hey3:

I'm sure it'd take 10 shots of .357 if the guy put them in the exact same place as his 10 .45 rounds.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Up around Telluride/ Cortez area I carry a Nikon....camera. I'm not real scared of the brown bear. I have 40 acres along the Dolores river not to far from the town of Delores. Heck, in the few summers I have seen a brown bear......I would go to Cortez and get outdated produce and set it out fro the bear to eat. I would use my "camera" on the brown bear.

Up in Montana.....little different story. Grizzly are a very unique animal, one that I fear and respect. My hunting buddy in Montana carries either his 41mag or his 44 mag. He has never shot into a grizzly but has fired warning shots with GOOD luck!!
Cohiba

Chas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
500 linebaugh, 5 rounds 440gr hardcast flatnose lead
ai619.photobucket.com_albums_tt280_1chas11_100_0147.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am from Washington (State) and went to Canada on several occasions and have had many experiences with bears. Most smell you coming and avoid you. Survival experts teach people to make loud noises as you hike. I know preparation is key, but I think you are over preparing. Take your .44 mag and feel safe. I think if you were packing a gun you thought was a bear killer, you could get over confident. I wouldn't want to be charged by a bear carrying any handgun. They are quick moving targets.

I didn't know bears carried handguns.
Sorry, Yukon!!
Seriously, lest I further knot Yukons's knickers, a good quality 357 should do just fine. As has been said before, load it with hard-cast solids.
I wouldn't go out and buy a 44 just to trek through bear-country, but if you want to, fine. If you can find a good used 629 Mountain Gun, that would be ideal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom