Pistol for female?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, the overall answer is whatever she feels comfortable carrying and shooting. I have found that if my wife doesn't find it comfortable to carry it ends up staying in the safe. That being said, I have found the ruger lcr in .38 special has been a good revolver for her since it's so light. If she ever had to shoot it at someone she would be having such a rush of adrenaline she wouldn't notice it kind of stings people with smaller hands. I recently bought myself...I mean, her, a Glock 42 in.380. It has a really good feel to it and yeah, I know people say .380 is underpowered, etc.....I still wouldn't want to be shot with one! Might also check out the lc9's and the compact Walthers's

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife has been through several, from Sig, Kahr, Glock, etc. She's finally happy (and shoots better) with her S&W Shield 9mm. The big thing would be finding one she's comfortable with that is small enough she will carry it, but large enough to shoot well.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife has been through several, from Sig, Kahr, Glock, etc. She's finally happy (and shoots better) with her S&W Shield 9mm. The big thing would be finding one she's comfortable with that is small enough she will carry it, but large enough to shoot well.

My girlfriend got her carry permit recently and we've been trying to find a gun for her. Initially she wanted the HK P30, but she now is set on the Shield as well. She has always said she doesn't like the small guns because she feels they are harder to get a good grip on, but the Shield she says feels perfect... and it's a lot cheaper than the P30. She has a 38 revolver, but hates it.

For home defense, shotgun is her preference. She can shoot it well instinctively. I put a limb saver pad on the 12g and she has no problem shooting it.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife carries a glock 26 with a +2 mag extension. She likes the way the grip feels in her hand vs the 19. She also prefers a gen3 grip, the gen4 is to aggressive for her.

img.tapatalk.com_d_14_06_07_u7u4u4yq.jpg

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On the show gun talk they recommended a full sized 9mm pistol like a glock or M&P for women. But its all up to what she likes. Take her to academy or a local gun shop and let her handle some.

RichardA76

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on the woman. My sis-in-law is LEO so she is comfortable with a full size .40 however my wife is more a small firearm type of woman. Just depends on them and what they are comfy with.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It' really important that she makes her own choice.
Most gun ranges rent pistols to try. In the end it saves money since you get the right one.
My wife went with the Springfield XD9 subcompact.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My wife n daughters prefer short easy trigger pulls, low recoil and not loud. .380s, .38 spl non +P and low recoil 9mm. They actually prefer .22s but I tell them its too small.

Latest posts

Top Bottom