Pistol for female?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a class each month called Firearms For Women. We go over the operation of a handgun, grip, stance, sights, follow through, the power of a handgun, different calibers, the five main sizes of semi-autos, the different sizes of revolvers and much more.

Then we go to the range and the students shoot 15 different handguns specifically chosen for women to determine which handguns fit their hands, talk about recoil, calibers, and help the student determine what type of gun is right for them.

More info at www.FirearmsOnTarget.com.

The next class will be 6/28. Let me know if this is a class you would like to register her for.

marshrat

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The wife had a G27, but that didn't last long. She loved my Shield, but I traded it for a G19, and that is her everyday carry now. Got another Shield in 9mm which she loves to shoot as well.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a class each month called Firearms For Women. We go over the operation of a handgun, grip, stance, sights, follow through, the power of a handgun, different calibers, the five main sizes of semi-autos, the different sizes of revolvers and much more.

Then we go to the range and the students shoot 15 different handguns specifically chosen for women to determine which handguns fit their hands, talk about recoil, calibers, and help the student determine what type of gun is right for them.

The next class will be 6/28. Let me know if this is a class you would like to register her for.

I say this if possible. The best handgun for any woman is the one she's shot, can easily manipulate and likes. The very worst choice for any female new shooter is a gun that is uncomfortable to shoot and difficult to manipulate i.e. snappy recoil, heavy slide pulls, awkward controls. One of the biggest issues I've run into are my nails. I don't keep them really long but even a little length can have a big negative effect on operating the controls on a handgun. It can really make manipulating the slide difficult and things like slide releases, safety's and mag releases can be difficult to use or can even be accidentally operated. Don't take for granted a particular gun will work for your wife because it seems like it should and don't assume a revolver is always the default either. Take her to a class for women if possible and take her to your LGS to handle as many different types as possible. It's going to be a process and you may get frustrated but let her work towards what she wants and help her along.

I'm a former LEO and have lot's of experience with handguns so my favorites are going to be different than someone who doesn't have that experience. My favorite carry gun is a compact .45acp 1911 but I wouldn't feel underpowered with high quality 9mm.. There are certain occasions where a .22LR or .22WMR might be the best choice but IMO, those are rare occasions. Hornady makes some .380 ammo that I would consider acceptable defense ammunition (probably manufacturers do also) today. Ten years ago I wouldn't have ever considered a .380 acceptable but times have changed.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My two cents. First, don't go to Academy. If you hear "the little lady needs," double bird them and leave. Second, let her pick it. Start at one end of the gun counter and let her pick up every thing she wants to. She may feel every gun and then go back to the very first one she picked up. Third, don't teach her how to shoot. Unless you want to be on the Jerry Springer show and Divorce Court, shut the hell up and pay for lessons.

IronMLS72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ruger SR9c 9mm. She picks it over her Ruger 357 mag/ 38 special revolver everytime. It's small and we have had zero problems with it on the range. She's pretty salty with it too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Cool advertising. How bout sharing some details youve learned or must we pay for that on a free thread??

Latest posts

Top Bottom