Pistol for female?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would have to say , before looking for a gun.

Find out if she has the mind set to be able to use one.
Does she realize theres a good chance she is going to have to Kill someone? or shoot them several times before they Stop?

Far too many people fail to understand this, having a gun is not the protection, your mind is.

Www:thinkaboutit.zom..... this one is for Free.. 8/

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My two cents. First, don't go to Academy. If you hear "the little lady needs," double bird them and leave. Second, let her pick it. Start at one end of the gun counter and let her pick up every thing she wants to. She may feel every gun and then go back to the very first one she picked up. Third, don't teach her how to shoot. Unless you want to be on the Jerry Springer show and Divorce Court, shut the hell up and pay for lessons.

This times ten. My wife picked or her gun and loves it. However I did teach her how to shoot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My two cents. First, don't go to Academy. If you hear "the little lady needs," double bird them and leave. Second, let her pick it. Start at one end of the gun counter and let her pick up every thing she wants to. She may feel every gun and then go back to the very first one she picked up. Third, don't teach her how to shoot. Unless you want to be on the Jerry Springer show and Divorce Court, shut the hell up and pay for lessons.

Thank you.

Although GC taught me how to shoot and we were fine. It was after I became fairly proficient and he was still talking to me like I was a beginner ... and taking my gun away from me to handle a malfunction ... or telling me how to shoot a stage when I hadn't asked for his advice ... that we started having trouble ... :P

And here's a woman who is gonna discourage you from sending her to a "women's only" class. The instructor is more important than the gender of her classmates. I've gotten really good instruction at USSA ... and there was a firearms instructor at H&H who taught me a lot. Unfortunately, he is retired now. I took some classes at H&H under another guy. Can't say I recommend him. He had a female instructor who left bruises on my hand, and kept grabbing my firearm while I was on a hot firing line. I don't know if she still helps him with his classes or not. Neither GC nor I were impressed although others have found him to be a satisfactory instructor, so if I were you I wouldn't rule H&H out altogether.

If I'd limited myself to women's only classes I would not be nearly as good a shot as I am.

burdicda

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The recommendation was for a S&W 642 Airweight 38 revolver for the female who doesn't know guns and doesn't want to know guns in my case...

horrible choice for most women or new shooters, the are hard to shoot well and have very snappy recoil

It's a belly gun....and after the shooting stops she won't even remember hearing the gun go off....
It's absolutely fool proof......pull the trigger...go bang...bad guy fall down....
That's the point for the women in my family....
Now if they were "gunners" then they could "tell me" what they are going to carry and shoot....hehehe

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The recommendation was for a S&W 642 Airweight 38 revolver for the female who doesn't know guns and doesn't want to know guns in my case...

It's a belly gun....and after the shooting stops she won't even remember hearing the gun go off....
It's absolutely fool proof......pull the trigger...go bang...bad guy fall down....
Now if they were "gunners" then they could "tell me" what they are going to carry and shoot....hehehe

Could you clarify what you mean in this quote? If I am understanding it correctly, this may be the worst advice so far in this thread, on several levels. I am hoping I have misunderstood it and I will be corrected.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Wow ,how do you fit so much ignorance in one post? Impressive

burdicda

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow...."So much ignorance in one post"
Do you address people like that in person?

Everyone doesn't have the time or desire to invest in semi automatic gun training...it is not a born knowing trait
I bought guns for ladies that can be used with no knowledge whatsoever in "rack this" and "make sure this safety is off", and "don't push this eject button here", or a dozen other things that can go wrong.....

If anyone anywhere has the desire to learn or be "told" how and what to do with this or that gun...I'm sure they won't have to go far...just hang out at the gun shops or gun shows....they are full of "know every f*king thing folks...who can't wait to tell you all about it....hahaha

The other day I watched as a pinup beautiful blonde hair blue eyed beauty shutdown two showoff jr cops who thought they knew guns and were trying to embarrass her in her store....she broke down an ar on the counter in a matter of seconds and put it all back together....
they left red faced....she was the stores gunsmith...

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow...."So much ignorance in one post"
Do you address people like that in person?

Everyone doesn't have the time or desire to invest in semi automatic gun training...it is not a born knowing trait
I bought guns for ladies that can be used with no knowledge whatsoever in "rack this" and "make sure this safety is off", and "don't push this eject button here", or a dozen other things that can go wrong.....

If anyone anywhere has the desire to learn or be "told" how and what to do with this or that gun...I'm sure they won't have to go far...just hang out at the gun shops or gun shows....they are full of "know every f*king thing folks...who can't wait to tell you all about it....hahaha

The other day I watched as a pinup beautiful blonde hair blue eyed beauty shutdown two showoff jr cops who thought they knew guns and were trying to embarrass her in her store....she broke down an ar on the counter in a matter of seconds and put it all back together....
they left red faced....she was the stores gunsmith...

You have answered my question. Your response proves my point, as well as the other two posters who questioned your previous post.

I wish I had been wrong on this one.

As an aside, and as a service to you let me offer some free advice. Ignorance can be fixed, stupidity cannot. We are all ignorant in some way or another. And yes, I have told people that in person. I have been told essentially the same thing at times. What you do with the info is up to you.

Seriously, Im not trying to be a prick here.
Anyone who doesnt "know" guns and doesnt want to "know" guns, has no business having a gun. They are a serious piece of hardware which demand respect and competence.

None of them are "fool proof". By simplifying the operation down to " ...pull the trigger...go bang...bad guy fall down.... is woefully inadequate, in training, mindset and reality.

Following that up with "That's the point for the women in my family...." is doing them a disservice. Insist that they seek training if they are going to use a gun. If they refuse, do them a favor and dont give them a gun.

"Now if they were "gunners" then they could "tell me" what they are going to carry and shoot....hehehe" This last line is the icing on the cake, and I refer you back to my first point. You are failing them with this attitude.

Please, do not let anyone you care about handle, employ, use a gun unless they are willing to learn how to use it. Learn how to clear malfunctions, ( yes revolvers have those too). When and where their use is justified.
Then practice, and practice some more.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom