Pistol for female?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
More and more, I come to respect the .22, a lot of people laugh it off. But's used to kill alligators on Swamp People, steers in slaughter houses, old men use them to kill burglars. If a woman prefers a .22, I might guide her toward a good .22 pistol. I don't have one, but I am surprised at what they do.

If the 22 rimfire is the final choice as to caliber, then I'd seriously suggest a revolver. The only auto that I have found to be reliable is the Ruger Standard model. Wheelguns are a lot more reliable than auto's, in my experience. I have a Walther PPK/s in 22 LR, and the reliability has been terrible.

Like I say, this has been my experience. YMMV.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
like to know what most women are comfy with

Hand size is important. My wife is small (5'2") with small hands. At the LGS counter, she tried this and that. She immediately dismissed autos, because the grips were so big. She just didn't think she could hold onto them. But, the grip size of small revolvers seemed perfect for her. We ultimately chose a Ruger SP101 in .38 for her and it fits her great. She fires it accurately and confidently.

We guys, with our big chunky hands, don't think about grip size much. So, consider this when she's looking at guns.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hand size is important. My wife is small (5'2") with small hands. At the LGS counter, she tried this and that. She immediately dismissed autos, because the grips were so big. She just didn't think she could hold onto them. But, the grip size of small revolvers seemed perfect for her. We ultimately chose a Ruger SP101 in .38 for her and it fits her great. She fires it accurately and confidently.

We guys, with our big chunky hands, don't think about grip size [I]much.[/I] So, consider this when she's looking at guns.

Man You got that right....8/
Let the Little Ladies pick their Own shooters, concentrate on what ..You are lookin at... :) ...Cheers

rgoodjr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take her to a range and first rent a revolver in 38 spl and a semi in 9.

let her shoot both. That will let her decided if she wants to learn and practice semi malfunction drills and deal with slide racking or just pull the trigger on the revolver.

Once she decides what platform she likes, then handle a bunch of them and check the gun fit to her hand. Read about LOA reaching the trigger.

The trigger finger should reach the trigger, some say the finger tip, some say the pad of the finger, some say the first joint.

Once she finds one rent it and let her shoot it.

remember only she can decide what she likes the best.

My wife went with a S&W no lock 640 =) she hates racking the slide. I keep trying though to teach her...

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are people, and of both genders, who are mechanically challenged or completely uninterested in anything gun related except the ability to defend themselves if it is necessary. My wife is utterly uninterested in guns, but can shoot a hand sized group at 20 feet with her Smith 66 snub. She also has a KelTec P380 that she shoots well, and because of its simplicity of operation she carries it when the 66 is too much. I can hound her to the range about once a year.

These people, if they have it in their heart to take a human life, need a moderately powerful DA revolver in the largest size they are comfortable with carrying.

They need to go to the range on a regular basis, but not very often. They need expert training in how to shoot and maintain the weapon.

They most assuredly do not need any of the "complexities" involving even the simplest semi auto, although my wife has taken my KelTec and made it her own. They certainly don't need a .22 because although cows and gators can die from them, this requires precision most don't have in an encounter with a deadly threat.

Again, for non "gun people," good training with a revolver, and I recommend DA only, will suffice.

For any new shooter, and gender is not important here, they need what they are comfortable with, and let me agree strongly that spousal training is fraught with risk. Pay a pro.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Am thinking of buying my daughter a self defense pistol and would like to know what most women are comfy with and carry (or home defense).

Thanks
DNO

My wife's carry pistol is a LC9. She just loves it. After some training and practice, its about all she really LIKES to shoot. Good gun for Lady carry or any cary IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JoLee1868

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the biggest thing is getting to a gun shop where she can handle the different pistols to get the feel of it in the hand. My sister has grown up around me and my father's pistols and has to to see how they all fit differently.

Her first pistol ended up being a XD9 which is a pistol we never owned. She tried it at a gunshop and liked it much more than our assortment of sig, m&p, Kimber, ect.

then she decided to get a concealed and ended up falling in love with the M&P 9 shield. She would of never chosen these if it hadnt been for going to gun shops and trying them out.

pretty vague but my best advice after seeing my mom/sister pick their pistols.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool advertising. How bout sharing some details youve learned or must we pay for that on a free thread??

Details:

Very hard for a most women to shoot a 5 shot light revolver - 38 special.

a woman needs to shoot several guns to make a decision. actually shoot not pick up at a store. if a woman is new to guns, picking them up at a store really does not mean much.

sometimes, it is very hard for a man to understand what a woman in experiencing when shooting.

many times a woman will not ask questions of her husband.

i cannot tell you which gun to buy, i don't even attempt it. until she has shot a bunch of guns and begin to feel the difference, then she will make a decison on her own.

i cannot tell u how many times a man has bought a gun for a woman, and she just cannot shoot it.

example, OK Handgun Lic class the other day, a woman comes to me with a sig 226 (i think), 40 caliber. says her husband bought it for HER for Christmas. points to the thing on the back (the hammer) and asks me what that thing is. grip way too big for this woman.

i hope this helps some. the class is $120 for 6 hours and all guns and ammo are free. if u do not think this is a good deal then, i don't know what to say.

Elm Creek Smith

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife took my 4 inch S&W Model 681 away from me after I put a Crimson Trace grip on it. She said it was to pay me back for selling "her gun," my 4 inch Model 629 with Pachmayr Grippers. The 681 is loaded with 125 grain Remington SJHP .38+P. The 629 was loaded with 200 grain Winchester Silvertip .44 Specials.

Latest posts

Top Bottom