Pistol for female?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife took my 4 inch S&W Model 681 away from me after I put a Crimson Trace grip on it. She said it was to pay me back for selling "her gun," my 4 inch Model 629 with Pachmayr Grippers. The 681 is loaded with 125 grain Remington SJHP .38+P. The 629 was loaded with 200 grain Winchester Silvertip .44 Specials.

Man........Thats just ...CrAzY....8/

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most important is fit and feel. If she don't like, she won't practice and get sufficient with it.
Second is caliber. Start small and work up, let her decide her limitations.

After finding what fits and what caliber, then purchase.

Third is proper instruction / training.

We had a novice training class, 13 women and 7 men. I had 1 woman who asked lots of questions. She was 68 years young, recently widowed and had never touched any firearm, though her husband had several. He had never tried to train her. ?????
She picked up everything we had; pistols, revolvers, and derringers. This was in a classroom, NO ammo, each arm inspected by an instructor.
She decided she liked S&W K frame for fit, feel, and ease of operation. We moved to the range.

She shot .22LR, 6 shots and wanted something bigger. Moved up to .32, 2 shots and "give more." Time for .38 SPL. 6 shots, "more".
Loaded +P, " more". OK, .357, 2 shots and she says, I don't think I want any more than that.

She shot 30 rounds of 38+P with all shots center of target, about a 4" group at 7 yards.

We then loaded B-52 targets (silhouette), run the targets to the back wall, turn off all lights.
Shooters are standing in their lane, hands behind their back, guns on the table.

We turn on the light bank over the shooters and hit the return on the targets. The targets are "running" at the chooters. They grab gun and shoot. I am standing just behind the woman watching her reactions and shots. She gets off 4 shots before the target stops.

I am laughing and everybody comes to look at her target.
Shot 1 was just touching the silhouette in the left ear position.
Shot 2 was bottom center, family jewels.
Shot 3 was center mass.
Shot 4 was right between the eyes.

Asked her why she stopped at 4 shots when she had 6?
She said, "because 'he' stopped and I might need the other 2 shots".

jphillipw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know of 4 women off the top of my head who carry LCPs. IMO, They're literally a pain to shoot tho. My wife is one of them, and I'm afraid I've shot her gun more than she has, and she got it before we were marrries.

Cowboy2000

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Lcr is the best I think. A revolver takes away the necessity of slide knowledge and strength. Just point and shoot. I have never had a revolver fail. Those little mouse semis are darn better than nothing but higher risk for problems, at the worst possible time! Revolvers are easy.

caspian40sw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off you need to let her pick out what gun she wants. That means type, caliber, and size. My wife's first gun was a Kimber CDP pro in .45. She has three guns that she carry's. Sig P239 .357 sig, P220 .45, and the Kimber CDP .45. She does not have big hands but she can handle and shoot them all well.

She just picked up a P229 9mm and will start carrying that one also. I have worked with her at the range and we are still going strong just remember to treat her like a fellow shooter and you will be fine. But act like she is some weakling that cant possibly know anything on her own and you will need a second dog house.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My lady and I both love the way a 1911 feels with a hogue wrap-around grip on it. Despite her having medium size hands and myself XL hands, the 1911/hogue wrap-around combo is basically the pinnacle or paragon of handgun comfortability.

The .45cal is not the most comfortable caliber for her so I would definitely look into finding a 1911 in 9mm if she ever decided to carry. Before going that route I would have to check on the reliability of 9mm 1911s first though.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My gal loves her S&W J-frame 3". She shoots it pretty well, too. Like some of you said, it is what she enjoys shooting the most and therefore what she trains with the most, and what she keeps next to her when I'm gone for the weekend. She likes the slim grip (it has the round bottom grip) and how easy it is to manipulate. I have taught her how to run an auto and she shoots it just fine too, but she just feels a lot more confident with the Smith for whatever reason. One thing is that racking the the slide isn't easy for her on my M&P or my Kahr CM9. I know she would be fine on an auto if she would train more with it, but she says the Smith is good enough and she knows how to use it, so she has little interest in trying to learn something else. I don't argue with her, because I know she's not into this whole shooting thing near as much as I am, and a gal who has one gun and knows how to use it is still nothing to be trifled with! Now if I could only get her to start carrying...

Peterosegunner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly for a lady at home you can't beat a Glock 19 or 17 whatever fits her hand best, if it is an elderly lady I would get a berreta 380 where you can flip open the barrel to load it. For concealed carry the Glock 42 in my opinion would be tough to beat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom