Places that are off limits for CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't seem to get a straight answer on this, so I'll give it a shot here. I have to go to the post office every day. Am I okay to have my pistol in my car in the parking lot and leave it there while I run inside to check my box, or have I violated the law simply by driving in to the lot while carrying?

OK, you asked two questions, Yes to leaving it in your car, do not carry into the Post Office. No, you have not violated any law by driving into the parking lot with a CCW on your person or in your car.

Leaving it in your car, in the parking lot is fine. I do the same thing when I have to run into the kids' school or the post office.

The only time you can have a gun on school grounds, parking lot, or any area like that is if you are in your car, dropping off or picking up a child. If I were you, I would not admit to felonious activity on the internet.

ExtremistPullup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
b. any property set aside for the use of any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, by any entity offering any professional sporting event which is open to the public for admission, or by any entity engaged in pari-mutuel wagering authorized by law,

does the mean you can't carry to the cox center during a Thunders game.
(not sure if the cox center has a gunbuster sign anyway)

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it a felony to carry in the post office like it is at a school? Is it a felony to leave the weapon locked in your car in a school parking lot while you go inside?

B

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it a felony to carry in the post office like it is at a school? Is it a felony to leave the weapon locked in your car in a school parking lot while you go inside?

B

I'm not sure on the Post Office, but I assume YES.

On the school, YES IT IS A FELONY. It would be highly unlikely that you would get caught, however I don't recommend it. Weigh the risks.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't want to take any risks. I'm aware that it isn't legal to leave it locked in your car on school property. I would just like to know if it is felonious to do so. For instance, carrying on university property is not a felony - $250 fine and los of license.

I'm only wondering if leaving it in your car on school grounds while going inside is the same penalty.

Thanks

B

trade_sniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is a significant breech of the law to store a firearm unattended on school property. The penalties are severe. Please review the statute below.

Title 21. Crimes and Punishments
Section 1280.1 - Possession of Firearm on School Property

POSSESSION OF FIREARM ON SCHOOL PROPERTY

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to have in his or her possession on any public or private school property or while in any school bus or vehicle used by any school for transportation of students or teachers any firearm or weapon designated in Section 1272 of this title, except as provided in subsection C of this section or as otherwise authorized by law.

B. "School property" means any publicly or privately owned property held for purposes of elementary, secondary or vocational-technical education, and shall not include property owned by public school districts or private educational entities where such property is leased or rented to an individual or corporation and used for purposes other than educational.

C. Firearms and weapons are allowed on school property and deemed not in violation of subsection A of this section as follows:

1. A gun or knife designed for hunting or fishing purposes kept in a privately owned vehicle and properly displayed or stored as required by law, or a handgun carried in a vehicle pursuant to a valid handgun license authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, provided such vehicle containing said gun or knife is driven onto school property only to transport a student to and from school and such vehicle does not remain unattended on school property;

2. A gun or knife used for the purposes of participating in the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation certified hunter training education course or any other hunting, fishing, safety or firearms training courses, or a recognized firearms sports event, team shooting program or competition, or living history reenactment, provided the course or event is approved by the principal or chief administrator of the school where the course or event is offered, and provided the weapon is properly displayed or stored as required by law pending participation in the course, event, program or competition; and

3. Weapons in the possession of any peace officer or other person authorized by law to possess a weapon in the performance of their duties and responsibilities.

D. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall, upon conviction, be guilty of a felony punishable by a fine not to exceed Five Thousand Dollars ($5,000.00), and imprisonment for not more than two (2) years. Any person convicted of violating the provisions of this section after having been issued a concealed handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall have the license permanently revoked and shall be liable for an administrative fine of One Hundred Dollars ($100.00) upon a hearing and determination by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation that the person is in violation of the provisions of this section.

Latest posts

Top Bottom