Please school me, I'm still learning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so I dont post much around here but do some reading when I make my way back over here. I was doin a little research into getting a pistol & had pretty much made my mind up on a Springfield XD40 w/5" barrel. Now even though that would be my choice I have to think about the wife. I'll be taking her to shoot pretty frequently & I'm thinking a 9mm would fit the bill a little better. Not only would ammo be cheaper but I'm gonna take a blind stab & say recoil will also not be what it would be from a 40. Which should make it easier to get her used to firing a gun since this would be her first.

Now on to picking a good reliable firearm. I'm totally lost. I like the Springfields but then I see the Smith & Wesson Sigma 9's at Academy for $320 before tax. I'd like to not spend a ton on a reliable 9mm. I know I used to assosiate Smith & Wesson for quality but I read reviews on here about the Sigmas & it kinda suprised me. So now I'm unsure about what brands make quality guns now days.

Someone please school me. Possibly point me in the right direction for the right gun for my needs.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The Sigma (from what I've read, don't own one) is not a BAD gun, just not very refined.

You might be interested in looking at the new S&W SD9. It's supposed to be a revamped Sigma with better trigger and night sights. Not sure what prices are though.

ETA** Only the front is night sight. And $384 @ Budsgunshop

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's the deal from my experince; I use the SIgmas as trainers and loaners.

S&W has the Sigmas, SDs (improved Sigma, more money) and the M&P (different gun).
All are rock-solid dependable. the SIGMA and SD use the same magazines, M&P are different.
The Sigma has a triger much like a double-action revolver. I call it Algebra Problem because it is long and hard-say 8 to 10 pounds (it gets slicker and easier with use, but it won't get light, and can't be made both reliable and light, regardless). It does instantly show your ability to control a trigger.

The SD has a better trigger, "meh" is the usual reaction.

The M&P can be made about as good a trigger as any combat tupperware, but more $$.

I rent and loan the Sigmas, and shoot an M&P, because I can. The gain is purely ergonomics, not reliability.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea, under $400 would be nice since its mainly gonna be a range/plinkin gun to help teach my wife & shoot for fun. I just almost toyed with the idea of goin ahead with a XD9 but just dont wanna spend that much unless I'm getting a quality 40.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool, they also have a range correct? If thats the one I'm thinking about I have thought about swinging by there. Especially after we found a gun since I believe that would be the closest range to go to.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The Rugers are good pistols. As far as function and reliability, similar to the Sigma / SD9. However, the Ruger will be much heavier if you're considering carrying it.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm unsure about it ever being used as a carry weapon. I have given serious thought to getting my CCL in the future. But I'd prefer a 40 for a carry weapon & home defense over a 9mm if I had to choose. I like the idea of having a little more stopping power in those situations over just plinkin around for fun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom