Please school me, I'm still learning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claricSTi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know you said money is a deciding factor but I have always considered a firearm to be one thing you don't want to "cheap out on". You can find a used XD40 for around 375-450 depending on where you look. Then you grab yourself a 9mm conversion barrell and bam, the gun you want with the ability to shoot 9mm. It seems from your posts that an XD is what you are after so I reccomend saving a little more and going that route. I've always thought it better to "Buy Once, Cry Once"

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot the MP and the XD and bought the XD. My wife loves to shoot the 9mm. I like 40s, but if I was going to buy one gun for my wife and myself. I would buy a 9mm. My wife has a Taurus PT111 for a carry gun. It is a nice gun. It has a little longer trigger pull then I like, but I have had worse. I have had two Sigmas and did not like them at all. I would take her to H&H or somewhere and shoot a couple. Find one you both like. If you were at H&H on a weekend that I could go, I would be more then happy to let you shoot my XD9 and the Taurus and see if you like them.

ocphy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Ruger P89 9mm that I bought when I turned 21 to take my CCW course and teach the wife how to shoot. It has been great, never had a problem with it functionally, but it is a little on the heavier size. I have put 1000 rounds through mine no problem. Wife likes it too

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How does everyone feel about the Beretta 92FS 9mm, I believe they had some of those last time I was in the Police supply up on Admiral that were Police turn-in's. If I remember correctly they were priced under $200 with 2 magazines all in used condition.

I would also seriously consider something like that as long as there is nothing wrong with buying used Police turn-in's. I wish my uncle Larry was still alive to help me pick. He was a OHP Captain & competition shooter, definetly knew his way around pistols.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont mind buying a XD40 later on more for me. But for the time being a nice little 9mm will meet my needs. I really enjoy shooting & once I get goin I tend to run thru ammo fairly quickly, LOL.

GlocksInMySocks

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my roommate in college bought two sigma's with his dad. He ended up selling them both pretty quick. Wasn't a fan of the trigger and both had to be sent back to the factory because neither extractor worked out of the box. It could have just been that run, but he was not impressed. My advice would be to save just a little longer and getting something of a little higher quality. Just my opinion and what I would do.

Good luck on the purchase

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna go up to the Police supply on Admiral tomorrow & see what all they have in stock. They are close enough I can swing by on my lunch hour & last time in there they were very helpful & polite.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sometimes you can find a good deal on the Glock buy backs. Glocks are allways good. I have had a 17 and a 19 in 9mm and liked both. My wife was mad at me when I sold the 19.

Latest posts

Top Bottom