Please school me, I'm still learning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sig, Beretta, Glock, Kahr, CZ, ...all good guns. Find what fits and what you are comfy with. Quit worrying about 9mm vs. 40 for "firepower"...it's just a handgun after all. Plus, 9mm ammo is MUCH cheaper.

I liike Glocks; simple, ultra-relaible, always goes bang, and not too expensive. Some others prefer XD's; Berettas, Sigs etc. For my money, you can't beat a stock Glock 19 for an all around out of the box firearm. Although I actually carry and like my Glock 30sf more and more now ... it's a 45 but damn, does it shoot nice! But, I have no problem with the 9mm as far as a defensive handgun. Shot placement rules and a whole bunch beats a few in many cases anyway. My two cents.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
P.S. Please don't waste money trying to save money...sigmas; taurus, etc. Just spend afew more bucks and get quality the first time.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Will do, even though its a long shot since it was about a year ago since I went in there last.

I was getting ready to buy a pistol & get into shooting at that time. I had talked with my uncle about possibly starting to go. He was gonna take me to the range with him to refine my shooting & then around the same time he had his accident. So that kinda made me lose interest for a while. But now I'm starting to want to go again & would like to take my wife.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Medlock's does have XD's to rent/shoot, if you buy one you'll get a rental fee back and last I was in there they are still having a sale on XD's because they bought a small mountain of them from Springfield.

My wife selected a Springfield XD9 subcompact from there. I think she chose well.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thankx for all the input guys.

druryj
But, I have no problem with the 9mm as far as a defensive handgun. Shot placement rules and a whole bunch beats a few in many cases anyway. My two cents.

Ya know I thought about this comment all night & I agree. And after that thinking I am pretty set on just saving some extra cash & grabbing a XD9. I really like the Springfield.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not for sure but i think the Sigma's trigger is like 13 pounds. Better make sure your wife can pull the trigger. If it is really hard for her to pull, the gun will probably squirm a little in her hand and hard to be accurate with it.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might save yourself some grief if both of you go to the gun store and handle them. Her hands are likely different than yours and you will want one that fits you both, otherwise she is not likely to shoot much. The Springfield XD and the Smith and Wesson M and P both have different back straps you can swap out to fit you better, I think the Ruger SR 9 does also and maybe a few others do. 9 mm is not bad in the recoil department but if she doesn't like it, let her shoot a 22 until she gets used to it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom