Please school me, I'm still learning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer the Springfield, as I prefer the trigger over the Sigma (not just the weight, but the shape and feel), and the grip safety. Others like the Smith, as it is made in the USA and not Croatia. Whole host of reasons to prefer either of of those over the other.

But in all reality, you and your wife need to determine which one is better for you (collectively and/or individually), ergonomically.

I like the Beretta fine, but find it a bit large and heavy for my needs (your needs and requirements may well be different).

As far as caliber, I wouldn't shy away from 9mm or 40 due to recoil. I have a .40 as I like the ballistics, but that's me. I perceive a difference in recoil, but personally feel anyone who can control a 9mm can train to use the 40. Of course, if you like the 9mm for recoil or capacity of cost reason, go for it. Either caliber would work fine for a fighting pistol.

They make different models/calibers because we all have preferences, right? This is like asking us what type of woman would be best for you; who are we know and judge?! :)

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you wanted to shoot a XD 4" in .40 this weekend, I may be able to sneak out to Medlock's early Sat or Sun. I am taking my wife and son to the fair (her choice, not mine!), so she owes me a favor and I pocket those and use them for range visits.

Let me know :)

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you wanted to shoot a XD 4" in .40 this weekend, I may be able to sneak out to Medlock's early Sat or Sun. I am taking my wife and son to the fair (her choice, not mine!), so she owes me a favor and I pocket those and use them for range visits.

Let me know :)

LOL, only us married men know the importance of pocketing those IOU's. I normally blow those on buying car parts myself, LOL.

I have shot a 4" XD40, thats what made me fall in love with the XD's. My wifes cousin bought one & let me shoot it. I was impressed & really like the double safety system as well. Thankx for the offer though man, I appreciate that.

I'm gonna start putting some money back & most likely buy from Bud's, they have a XD9 4" package right now for $439 & it says free shipping on their site. So I'm guessin all I'd be out is a transfer fee when I finally buy right?

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL, only us married men know the importance of pocketing those IOU's. I normally blow those on buying car parts myself, LOL.

I have shot a 4" XD40, thats what made me fall in love with the XD's. My wifes cousin bought one & let me shoot it. I was impressed & really like the double safety system as well. Thankx for the offer though man, I appreciate that.

I'm gonna start putting some money back & most likely buy from Bud's, they have a XD9 4" package right now for $439 & it says free shipping on their site. So I'm guessin all I'd be out is a transfer fee when I finally buy right?

Yup. Though we have many good FFAs here that can facilitate a transfer for you (many are $10 or less), if they don't match or beat Bud's price.

There were a couple in the Tulsa area offering free transfers, though I am unsure if they still are (I don't want to speak on their behalf). I would just see how close they could come to Bud's price first. If it is close, I like to give the business to the local guy.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea, most definetly man. If I can find one local that is a identical buy to what I was looking at from Bud's I'd rather spend my cash here in town & not wait on shipping if possible.

It's gonna most likely be a end of the year purchase when I get my bonus. But I like to window shop as much as possible before a important purchase anyhow so thats alright, lol.

Rajder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man I was in the exact same situation as you not too long ago. I wanted to get a cheap pistol that could be used for plinking, home defense, and the wife had to be able to shoot it. I wanted .40 cal as well but settled for 9mm for the recoil purposes for the wife (and cheaper ammo). I picked up a Ruger P95 at the gun show for $300 brand new and I couldn't be happier with it. I shoot with my brothers and they have the Gen4 Glock 22 (.40 cal) and XDM in .40 cal. They both have about twice in their guns what I have in the Ruger. The Gen 4 glock and the XDM are both nicer guns than the Ruger, but they aren't $300 nicer thats for sure. The Rugers are built like tanks and will eat any ammo you can throw at them without a hiccup. For me the Ruger will do everything that I need it to do and I'm walking around with an extra $300 in my pocket. It will never be a carry gun, but for what I wanted it works perfect.

Don't get me wrong, if you are OK with parting with $600 then the XDM or the Glocks are awesome guns. I personally like the XDM just a little better but both are awesome. But if you want a solid, less expensive, dependable gun I am big fan of the Ruger's.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, went up to OPS today on lunch. Didnt get a chance yesterday. They had a nice selection of handguns & rifles. Nice prices too. Spied a XD9 for I believe it was $469, not bad.

Also checked out this sweet little slip on piece for the grip w/laser built in. Thought that was pretty neat & could save mounting one elsewhere on the weapon going that route.

justinsaneok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man I was in the exact same situation as you not too long ago. I wanted to get a cheap pistol that could be used for plinking, home defense, and the wife had to be able to shoot it. I wanted .40 cal as well but settled for 9mm for the recoil purposes for the wife (and cheaper ammo). I picked up a Ruger P95 at the gun show for $300 brand new and I couldn't be happier with it. I shoot with my brothers and they have the Gen4 Glock 22 (.40 cal) and XDM in .40 cal. They both have about twice in their guns what I have in the Ruger. The Gen 4 glock and the XDM are both nicer guns than the Ruger, but they aren't $300 nicer thats for sure. The Rugers are built like tanks and will eat any ammo you can throw at them without a hiccup. For me the Ruger will do everything that I need it to do and I'm walking around with an extra $300 in my pocket. It will never be a carry gun, but for what I wanted it works perfect.

Don't get me wrong, if you are OK with parting with $600 then the XDM or the Glocks are awesome guns. I personally like the XDM just a little better but both are awesome. But if you want a solid, less expensive, dependable gun I am big fan of the Ruger's.
I'm a Glock man but had 2 rugers and they are tanks, shoot strait, shoot every time, and if you run out of bullets you could knock some BG's head off with one swing, pound in fence posts, shingle a roof, pound out a tire rubbing dent in your fender, all the while getting all your money back at the scrap yard when you get tired of carrying it around or waiting for it to break, because it wont. I would however get a Glock 19 or 17 if I were you. But if money is the factor get a ruger over a sigma for god sake. + low recoil on a a big block of stainless, you could get the .40 and your wife would think its a 9. Do what you should and :respect: the Glock

Latest posts

Top Bottom