Poll: Snowden, (Hero) or (Traitor)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poll: Snowden, (Hero) or (Traitor)

• Hero

Votes: 66 68.0%
  • Traitor

Votes: 31 32.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a nation we have less to fear from foreign nations than we do our own government.

Comparing Snowden to Hitler is interesting. One man killed thousands upon thousands of people, the other outed the U.S. Government for violating our constitutionally protected rights.

B Gordon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my book he is a true American as much as any front line combat soldier or freedom fighters of the past.
Stood up against tyranny at the expense of his personal safety and well being.
The jury is still out cause I won't be a bit surprised to wake up one morning and hear he has died.

If I were in the position he was in with respect to seeing exactly what sort of things the NSA is doing, I don't think I would have the morals and fortitude to stand up and let the world know what has been going on.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think i would be more inclined to see him as a hero if he had actually done something about the transgressions of the NSA. Just telling the world about it and running away isnt enough to rate hero status in my book.

Says the keyboard commando...

Im pretty sure most of the people on this board dont have the courage to stick there neck out like Snowden and for what its worth I dont even know what I would do in a similar situation. Going against our obscenely large and craptastic government in the fashion that he did is not running away. Heck I doubt our founding fathers would be fond of us for following the tide the way most Americans do day in and day out.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What would you have done, specifically?

Dont know for sure. I am not privy to what he could have done in his position. What i do know is the way he went about his disclosure, then leaving the country, first to china then to russia tells speaks volumes as to his motives.
Says the keyboard commando...

Im pretty sure most of the people on this board dont have the courage to stick there neck out like Snowden and for what its worth I dont even know what I would do in a similar situation. Going against our obscenely large and craptastic government in the fashion that he did is not running away. Heck I doubt our founding fathers would be fond of us for following the tide the way most Americans do day in and day out.

Thats cute. Clearly you know me very well.
I didnt say he did something without risk to his person. I also am not siding with the government in this case. In fact, what has been revealed by snowden is evidence of what many of us already suspected and abhor. I agree with your last sentence, i think it is shameful what you and I and the hundreds of millions of US citizens have allowed to happen in this country.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
says the keyboard commando...

Im pretty sure most of the people on this board dont have the courage to stick there neck out like snowden and for what its worth i dont even know what i would do in a similar situation. Going against our obscenely large and craptastic government in the fashion that he did is not running away. Heck i doubt our founding fathers would be fond of us for following the tide the way most americans do day in and day out.

^^^bingo^^^

orangpowr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My only comment is Hero's never run away from their duty, if what he did needed to be done fine but stand up for your beliefs. Don't run and hide like a coward.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my book he is a true American as much as any front line combat soldier or freedom fighters of the past.
Stood up against tyranny at the expense of his personal safety and well being.
The jury is still out cause I won't be a bit surprised to wake up one morning and hear he has died.

If I were in the position he was in with respect to seeing exactly what sort of things the NSA is doing, I don't think I would have the morals and fortitude to stand up and let the world know what has been going on.

He's got more balls than most of us, he gave up his freedom so that we might regain a little of ours. The dealings with foreign countries were a necessary evil to stay alive.

I agree that there was no other way to do what he did effectively. If he had tried to follow "proper" channels, he would have been shut down hard and fast.

The very act of disobeying a corrupt and oppressive government is central to our foundation as a nation. There can be no doubt that the government is corrupt. Is such a corrupt government due our allegiance, or is it the nation and the principles upon which it was founded due our allegiance? Snowden chose the latter. I won't hold that against him.

If he did not care about the future of this once fine republic, then why would he risk his life the way he did? To label him a traitor overlooks what he aimed to accomplish. If he did not want to be true to the values of our republic, then he could have continued on, complicit in the schemes of the government and probably made a good deal of money doing it.

Instead, he took a much more difficult route, knowing that he would instantly become the enemy of one of the most powerful nations in the world. Like the original signers of the Declaration of Independence, who knew they would either succeed and found our nation, or else lose and be executed as traitors, Snowden knew he risked it all, and there can be only one reason that would make sense, not that he wanted to defect to Russia, or China or Brazil, etc., but that he wanted to try and change the course of our nation and help right its course.

There is a difference between "hero" and "patriot." Even if you don't count him a "hero" he is certainly a patriot. And he has done so at a great cost that most would not accept.

ChuckC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I certainly think the whistle needed blowing. I'm just not sure of his motives or his methods. I have no idea what I'd do in that situation, maybe send anonymous copies of select items to some [American] hard hitting journalist if there were such a thing anymore.
I'd like to think I would try not to release anything that would jeopardize national security. Hard to say where it stops once the cats out of the bag though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom