polymer AR Lowers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I for one do not have experience with polymer AR 15 lowers. My reason for this: When I could get stripped aluminum mil spec lowers for ~$40.00, I just didn't want to risk the same money on a polymer lower. Polymer lowers were new to market, many balk at polymer lowers. If I were to need to sell off a few guns for an emergency, the aluminum lowers would be an easier sell.

This has always been my thought. There is no clear advantage, and many theoretical disadvantages.

nich018

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I for one do not have experience with polymer AR 15 lowers. My reason for this: When I could get stripped aluminum mil spec lowers for ~$40.00, I just didn't want to risk the same money on a polymer lower. Polymer lowers were new to market, many balk at polymer lowers. If I were to need to sell off a few guns for an emergency, the aluminum lowers would be an easier sell.

yup,that's my reason also.

Permanent37

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what do you all think or have experianced...prefer the latter. Frontier, plum crazy, cavarms, etc.
cimg0033f.jpg
plumcrazydamage.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a Frontier that was a complete lower back when stripped aluminum lowers were high dollar. Use it on my .22 nordic upper. Shot several thousands of rounds at steel challenge matches with it over the years, without a hickup.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Properly made poly lower will last as long as aluminum; unfortunately most poly lowers are not made from proper compound or properly re-enforced.

If you take a piece that was designed to be made from forged aluminum and make it from an inferior material - you should not expect it to be the same strength, it's common sense.

somarsmi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had a problem with a Plum Crazy lower receiver. The complete lower was purchased at a local shop assembled. I failed on my end to inspect the complete lower receiver. The buffer tube needed 1 more full rotation to capture the buffer retainer/spring properly.

I shot the lower several times before the buffer retainer and spring forced its way into the lower receiver Fire control area and jammed its way under the hammer. The retainer spring was completely destroyed.

I am not sure if the lower receivers come assembled from plum crazy or if the shop assembled it. Luckily no harm was done and I learned a lesson. Whether it’s an 80$ complete lower or 300$ complete lower I need to check to make sure it's assembled right.

I would suggest replacing the plum crazy Pivot and takedown pin set with metal ones. The polymer ones have completely come out of the receiver during takedown more than once.

Or just get an aluminum lower it will last a very long time.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Aluminum lowers can be had for $50/each and there is not a significant weight difference to justify the need for a polymer lower. That's just my opinion.

your 100% accurate, but I am wondering simply if they are durable. I carried one long enough and owned enough to know what I like, but an absolute beater, I wondered if they would stay together.

Latest posts

Top Bottom