pounds vs inches

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cpolesen

Why is it when a bass, catfish or crappie is caught they are referred to in pounds, but when a trout is caught it is referred to in inches. Is this like the metric system or something??

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I pretty much weigh everything on digital scales that have been calibrated.
Trout being the only exception generally. I release 99% of the trout I catch, and try to do it while they are still in the water with minimum handling of the fish.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why are brow tines counted with a white tail to make an 8 point buck when it is understood that a 4x4 muley may or may not have eye guards? Why are elk 5x5 as opposed to a 10 point?

Same type of thing I believe. I do the same thing with above mentioned fish.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The majority of trout fishermen are catch and release guys. As Dennis mentioned, the idea is to handle the fish as little as possible to ensure a good clean release.
Trout are typically more fragile than other freshwater species and taking a fish out the the water to weigh it can add additional stress.

I have a tape measure attached to my net that makes it really easy to measure a trout. You can leave the fish in the net and not take it out of the water.

Latest posts

Top Bottom