Powder storage in the garage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idleclamp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a question that I'm sure many people can help answer. I have several pounds of gun powder and primers stored in my garage. In discussing some what-ifs with my wife, she asked me what would happen to the gun powder if there was a fire in the garage? Would it just burn? Would it explode? I have no idea, but considering that our baby's room is above the garage, I feel it's certainly necessary to ask.

Is there a certain type of storage unit to put it in while storing it in the garage? Is it something to worry about? Afterall, the lawnmower with spare gas can is also in the garage. Of course the cars are in there too (which have tanks of gasoline). I really don't want to store it in the house (obvious reasons). Any storage suggestions??

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

If the powder is smokeless I wouldn't worry about it exploding, it develops pressure when in an enclosed space. If it catches fire, it will certainly vent through the powder container, etc. I certainly would not store powder in an airtight enclosure made of something that could fragment if it explodes like PVC, or a metal enclosure that is air tight. Let it be open and if it goes it will produce gas, but not an explosion.

Black powder is a different story. Think of those old cartoons with the keg and the boom. I'm sure there are safe ways to store it, but I've never learned or had a need to because I don't have any.

Primers are a different story and are quite explosive. I've read that much care has been given to their storage boxes and this is why they should STAY in them until used. I remember hearing a story once of someone who thought storing primers all together in a glass jar was a good idea until one of them went and it turned that glass jar into a grenade.

Personally I store both powder and primers inside the house away from temperature swings and have done so for years. I also store gas in containers that DO NOT VENT any fumes in the garage as well with no problems.

Good luck,

Alan

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take about a tablespoon full and make a little pile on the floor (of the garage!). Light it and see what happens. It will just fizzle and make some smoke. The slow rifle powders are really interesting to watch, it really makes you wonder how a rifle cartridge even works. The key is pressure. If the burning powder is not encased in a brass casing, and that is encased inside of a steel chamber, not much happens. You have to have something substantial to contain the pressure, if you have that it's "Nellie bar the door" otherwise you just have a real good fire for a couple of seconds.

Like said before all bets are off with blackpowder. That chit will blow the hell up. Don't ask me how I know...:lookaroun

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I read the thread and it sounded more like storage for longevity. I'm looking for storage in case of fire, if it's necessary.

Not just for longevity, but safety as well. Even cased ammunition will only pop when exposed to flames, since the case isn't loaded into a firearm where the brass will be heald in a steel chamber the explosive effect will always take the easy way out which is usually cracking the brass, or if the crimp is weak on the projectile, it will push it out of the case.

I would suggest that you keep at a minimum a 20ABC type fire extinguisher near where ever you store your ammo. Actually you should have several of these types in your home. A 20 to 30 ABC listed extinguisher will handle all types of common fires found in homes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom