Pre Rut still? Or has it started

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yea its been weird for me. thought it was just the way my year was goin, but i guess im not alone. seems like some people around the state were saying the rut was on and were seeing activity, but i just thought i somehow missed it. even though ive been in the woods several times a week since oct. 1st. the very little rut activity ive seen was from a couple small bucks, but even that wasnt much. rattled a little 5 point in a couple times and he came bustin through the woods pretty hard, but the bigger buck ive seen just turned and ran off when i rattled. has the rut just still not fully kicked in or was is it just short lived and i somehow missed it?

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yea its been weird for me. thought it was just the way my year was goin, but i guess im not alone. seems like some people around the state were saying the rut was on and were seeing activity, but i just thought i somehow missed it. even though ive been in the woods several times a week since oct. 1st. the very little rut activity ive seen was from a couple small bucks, but even that wasnt much. rattled a little 5 point in a couple times and he came bustin through the woods pretty hard, but the bigger buck ive seen just turned and ran off when i rattled. has the rut just still not fully kicked in or was is it just short lived and i somehow missed it?

Same here. Ive been in the woods alot lately and havent seen any action.

Had 3 does come by several times just strolling around eating grass & acorns, no bucks chasing. I had a small 5 point jump the fence and stuck his nose to the ground, zig zagging all the way, but no other bucks durning the day.

With the rains weve had the last couple weeks, I have seen where they have left lots of tracks overnight.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Same here. Ive been in the woods alot lately and havent seen any action.

Had 3 does come by several times just strolling around eating grass & acorns, no bucks chasing. I had a small 5 point jump the fence and stuck his nose to the ground, zig zagging all the way, but no other bucks durning the day.

With the rains weve had the last couple weeks, I have seen where they have left lots of tracks overnight.

What are your buck to doe ratios? If you have lots of does and not very many dominate bucks, that domi ate buck is going to be in the sorioity house with all the does ready to breed and no reason to go looking.

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Watched 14 does, each had a fawn but one, wander out into a cut milo field at 5pm. From the other end of the CRP, had a group of 6 buck come out single file together. Only two of them still had both antlers, all eight points or should have been, nothing big. Walking out, almost to the truck, spotted a deer being followed by another, second one back was twice the size and twice as dark, so assuming a buck following a doe, too dark out to see what he had on top.

Last edited:

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Watched 14 does, each had a fawn but one, wander out into a cut milo field at 5pm. From the other end of the CRP, had a group of 6 buck come out single file together. Only two of them still had both antlers, all eight points or should have been, nothing big. Walking out, almost to the truck, spotted a deer being followed by another, second one back was twice the size and twice the size, so assuming a buck following a doe, too dark out to see what he had on top.

Trying to get my daughter a deer and saw 20+ tonight (none within range) . Only 1 was a buck. The way the doe were stacked up you would swear it was late December.

Latest posts

Top Bottom