Pre Rut still? Or has it started

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Back in the day, when ML and rifle seasons alternated year after year.............when I was a kid and some of you were my age now, lol..................IIRC, all deer hunting was closed the week before Rifle/ML week(whichever came last.) Assuming this was to let the breeding happen without hunting interfering the breeding? Of course I guess the deer population wasn't near what it is now.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okie4570, Bassin and Allout are all correct. Charles Alscheimer, a noted deer researcher, says that the rut begins with the Autumal Equinox or better known as the full moon in September. This is followed by the Harvest moon in October with breeding starting approximately around the full moon in November.

Actually it has nothing to do with the moon. It has to do with daylight hours or lack there of. The Photoperiod....
In the fall when daylight hours start to get shorter it triggers the testosterone levels to raise in bucks harndening their horns. Later in the year when daylight gets below a certain amount it triggers the doe to come in to estrus. The amount of daylight that enters through the eyes triggers the Pituitary Gland to send out the release of hormones.
Alschsimer's studies produced his theory but there was never any proof or evidence to support it. The Photoperiod theory is proven and replicable.
Photoperiod is the exact same every year.
It's also why the closer to the equator the later in the year the rut is. Like in Meixco it's not til mid December, cause the daylight hours don't change enough til later in the year. That being said, the moon is the same there as it is here. So it obviously has no affect on it.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Actually it has nothing to do with the moon. It has to do with daylight hours or lack there of. The Photoperiod....
In the fall when daylight hours start to get shorter it triggers the testosterone levels to raise in bucks harndening their horns. Later in the year when daylight gets below a certain amount it triggers the doe to come in to estrus. The amount of daylight that enters through the eyes triggers the Pituitary Gland to send out the release of hormones.
Alschsimer's studies produced his theory but there was never any proof or evidence to support it. The Photoperiod theory is proven and replicable.
Photoperiod is the exact same every year.
It's also why the closer to the equator the later in the year the rut is. Like in Meixco it's not til mid December, cause the daylight hours don't change enough til later in the year. That being said, the moon is the same there as it is here. So it obviously has no affect on it.

Same as it effects when furs become prime with various furbearer's pelts. I found this link last year while browsing around it both supports and disproves itself. http://www.trmichels.com/RutDates.htm Daytime temps and moon phase dictate whether I'm going to take a nap in my stand between 10-2, or if I'll stay somewhat awake:D All I know is that in my area, you don't want to miss being out Nov 5-12. This is when I see less doe, more buck travel than any other time, and I start seeing them splattered all over the highways. The chasing phase is great fun to watch, until the doe gets tired, lays down and travel time is over. Two years ago, I watch two nice bucks in opposite directions from my stand, standing over does for almost 3 hours, other just a little over 3 hours. They finally got up, chased again for about 10 min and lay down again. Lock down phase is bad for moral.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okie4570, Bassin and Allout are all correct. Charles Alscheimer, a noted deer researcher, says that the rut begins with the Autumal Equinox or better known as the full moon in September. This is followed by the Harvest moon in October with breeding starting approximately around the full moon in November.

I don't put too much stock into moon phases. I think it can influence things, but is certainly not the basis for kicking off breeding times. It fluctuates by weeks year to year, yet the peak breeding is much more precise every year. This year the Harvest Moon was actually in September.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Ya but it's fun driving around seeing a hug buck standing over top of a bedded doe in every wheat field LOL
It's it's an amazing sight to see...
Just frustrating when u sit all day watching him from the stand and he wont freaking budge!!!!

The perils of hunting flat ground! Interesting in that link, Maine's peak times were said to be the same as us and AR.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had 6 does come into the food plot this morning. They acted real nervous. A short time later, a basket rack 6 point came out with his nose on the ground and made a beeline for one of the does. He chased her all over the woods. All the others scattered. I stayed another hour and came home.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot a young buck working a scrape Saturday morning. Buddy said he saw big 8 point at noon yesterday, nose to the ground, walking fast, right behind the shop, ignoring the guys watching and pointing. He's preoccupied with something.....

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The perils of hunting flat ground! Interesting in that link, Maine's peak times were said to be the same as us and AR.

Ya no joke lol
Most of the country is, except extreme north and extreme sound. With a few odd balls like parts of Alabama and Florida. The rest of the country including most if Canada and all the way down to most of south Texas, peak rut runs right at mid November.

Latest posts

Top Bottom