Presentation whiskeys or bourbons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a handful of bottles of whiskey/bourbon to purchase for some great people who have helped me out this year

Given that I’m not much of a spirits connoisseur, and don’t know much about them, (but am a gun guy and ex USAR) I was going to just pick up 4 bottles of Hooten Young for distribution.
My attorney would like the military tie in and my employer(s) also raise lots of money for Wounded Warrior and we subcontract with a major company that has ties to the veterans community. Therefore I thought Norm Hooten’s brand would be a good fit. Plus half the battle of a presentation booze is getting something in a bottle that looks good on someone’s bookshelf in the background when making Zoom calls

So
Smaller brand with a military back story. — check
Nice looking bottle for the visuals — also, check

But enthusiast reviews are lackluster - kind of reminds me of reviews of Crown Royal or something. But at close to a hundy a bottle, I’d rather not pay for something that’s just a light mixer , you should be able to get something an enthusiast can take a sip and enjoy neat I would think

So asking for any recommendations- and since I’m getting multiples, kind of wanted to keep it at around a C-note per bottle or less with loose specifications of

Rather be from a distillery or brand that’s not super common - basically nothing you could buy in a pint bottle
Some kind of military tie in or backstory would be nice but not a strict requirement

Interested in hearing you guys and gals input

Part of me says to just go with the first thought- Hooten Young has the cool backstory which would appeal to my target audience, a great bottle and label that looks good to amateurs - and is probably just fine for a guy who appreciates all that and might only drink a highball or 3 every 6 months

The value side of me also thinks, - that’s a lot of money for a hopped up Crown clone when Buffalo Trace, if it can be found, is a similar price point and is very highly regarded

Angler2312

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1728346157142.png

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a bourbon drinker, what’s inside the bottle is more important than the back story. While less than $50 a bottle I’d be very pleased if I was gifted a bottle of Rowan’s Creek.

agreed . Re-packaging mediocrity so it appears more “exclusive and elite” has been a popular strategy even before PT Barnum came along , - and across many consumer segments ($700 designer jeans anyone? )
In the spirits world, winemakers are probably much more guilty of this than the whiskey/bourbon people even

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve heard that Horse Soldier is good, but that comes from the same guys who like Hooten Young. Horse Soldier was founded by a couple of the Green Berets who were first into Afghanistan, and the steel that comprises the forms for their bottles came from the WTC. (I think it was Jack Carr who interviewed them on his podcast a few years ago, around the time their account of their actions in Afghanistan, Swords of Lightning, was published.)

You might also look at Mike Rowe’s Knoble Tennessee Whiskey. It doesn’t have the military tie-in, but the proceeds benefit his mikeroweWORKS Foundation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom