How old do you think you’ll live to?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I disagree. My dad always said "if I ever get like that, shoot me. I don't want to live like ****".

I didn't shoot him, he got in such awful shape it's criminal. I honestly thought about going extra on his pain meds to hasten him along, but I didn't. I feel somewhat guilty for not doing so, but he had the opportunity to exit before it got that far. I do not intend for my last few years to be like his. An accident, a stroke, something may prevent me from making that decision, but if possible I will not be like Dad.

I understand how you feel. I still consider it an honor to help elders live out their lives as they choose. Except for my dad the others have chosen hospice and I respect their decisions and I’m happy to help my wife however I can with her mom.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've already won!!! I'm officially the longest lived male on my Mom's side of the family. The record had been 59, which I surpassed several years ago. When I viewed the death certificates, every one of them died of a heart attack.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I disagree. My dad always said "if I ever get like that, shoot me. I don't want to live like ****".

I didn't shoot him, he got in such awful shape it's criminal. I honestly thought about going extra on his pain meds to hasten him along, but I didn't. I feel somewhat guilty for not doing so, but he had the opportunity to exit before it got that far. I do not intend for my last few years to be like his. An accident, a stroke, something may prevent me from making that decision, but if possible I will not be like Dad.
I've posted this before, but I don't want to live with shat in my diapers while lingering on for months if not years. My mom asked me to help her leave her misery with lung cancer. Dad was just laying there for weeks with black stuff coming from his mouth on morphine. I had to sign for that morphine. When he passed, the first thing the hospice worker did was count the pills against the daily dosage and sign me off on it.
The temptation was there. We don't let out pets suffer before relieving them of their misery, but have to let our parents suffer unimaginable pain and suffering before they die.
It's not right.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've posted this before, but I don't want to live with shat in my diapers while lingering on for months if not years. My mom asked me to help her leave her misery with lung cancer. Dad was just laying there for weeks with black stuff coming from his mouth on morphine. I had to sign for that morphine. When he passed, the first thing the hospice worker did was count the pills against the daily dosage and sign me off on it.
The temptation was there. We don't let out pets suffer before relieving them of their misery, but have to let our parents suffer unimaginable pain and suffering before they die.
It's not right.
People don’t have to suffer. If a patient is still suffering while on pain meds, the pain control regimen is wrong & needs to be changed. If the doctor won’t change it, then it’s the docs fault. Not society’s fault.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
People don’t have to suffer. If a patient is still suffering while on pain meds, the pain control regimen is wrong & needs to be changed. If the doctor won’t change it, then it’s the docs fault. Not society’s fault.
Bullshat. When they are given the max dose allowed (according to the DR) (by who's standard) and are still suffering and moaning, it's certainly someone's fault which is society that doesn't allow a painless way out of a terminal condition.
I know your background as a third party without a personal connection to my situation and the situation my wife had to endure when her step father and mother passed. None were painless and none including my parents were a peaceful death.
You can speculate and pontificate to the ends of the earth about what it should be, but in reality, your comment is BS.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not right.
That's awful!
So sorry you had to see that. I hadn't read this before now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom