Privacy fence options?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjasonc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a world of difference between cheap vinyl and good vinyl. Good vinyl is much more durable. We've had ours for 5 years and no cracks, no lost or blown away panels. It still looks great. Now it did cost $12k, but if it will last even another 5 years, I'd say its worth it. That would be $1,200 per year. I fully expect it to last at least 20 years however.

This. We've had our vinyl fence for about 8 years, and still looks great. If you buy quality product (not Lowes or Home Depot) then it will come warranteed against things like yellowing, peeling, etc for a lifetime. It'll cost more but it'll be the last fence you ever have to buy. We used JWI and I've heard good things about Midland as well but those are in the Tulsa area.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can say this, while cedar is resistant to rot it is not nearly as strong as pressure treated wood. Sure it looks nice and does better against ground rot and bugs, it is easily cut by a string trimmer. My builder used cedar 4x4 posts, some of them snapped in a bad wind storm and the remaining ones are starting to wear down at the ground from the string trimmer hitting them when I edge the grass from the bottom of the fence.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to be different than everyone else. While we've not had a privacy fence, we have had wood, vinyl, chain link, and vinyl covered chain link. I don't like privacy fences for the reason you stated. If someone gets into your yard, it may very well be that your neighbors won't be able to see them working on your back door. But, there is more.

A non-privacy fence will not catch the wind like a privacy fence, thus you won't have those strong Oklahoma winds working against you. Of all the fences I have experience with, the vinyl (good quality) and the vinyl clad chain link looked the best and was lower in maintenance. The only thing to watch out for is to be careful what kind of string trimmer you use for trimming around the fence. I used to have a heavy duty Honda string trimmer with thick (can't remember the size) string and it could take the vinyl off of the vinyl clad chain link. Our vinyl clad chain link was black in color and really looked nice.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, a lot of people living in trailers are dropping $12k for their fence.

If someone is paying 12K for a vinyl fence then they got more cents then brains. They look tacky. It's kinda like beer. Cheap beer goes in aluminum cans. Good beer goes in glass bottles. Vinyl fences look trailer park trashy. They are what they are.

Belthos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before I'd buy either I'd get a quote on a metal fence. I don't know much about vinyl fences.
I have seen more wooden privacy fences that are in terrible shape and literally falling apart than I can count.

I don't think you can buy the good quality treated woods anymore, I was told the epa banned the treatments.

Kozmos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If "privacy" isn't the concern, I say black chain link. We recently moved out of a neighborhood with 6' cedar privacy fences to a place out on the edge the country. We went with a 5' black chain link fence and love it. The black blends better than the standard galvanized chain and just looks great.

Latest posts

Top Bottom