Problems Full Length Resizing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smax

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got started reloading and the first cartridges I reloaded were 308 Winchester. Everything went great, no problems at all. Last night I go to reload some 270 Winchester and I am having some issues.

I am using a Lee single stage press and Lee full length resizing die. To setup the die I run the ram all the way up with the cartridge holder and thread the die in until it touches the cartridge holder. Then I lower the ram and turn the die in another 1/4 turn and lock it down.

I then lube up the cases with the case lube that came with the Lee kit and run them into the die. When I go to pull the case out of the die the decapping stem gets stuck in the case and pulls the pin out of the die. It is not getting stuck in the flash hole the part of the stem that sizes the neck ID gets stuck at the base of the neck and pulls the entire stem out of the die no matter how tight the lock nut is. This is with the stem adjusted flush with the top of the locking nut per the instruction.

If I adjust the stem down about 1/4" into the locking nut it no longer gets stuck but it does feel very rough pulling through the neck of the case. Should I just use the die set up like this or is there something else going on here? I am sure that I am using plenty of resizing lube and I tried this with Federal, Remington and Winchester brass all having the same results.

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thing the sizing die is part of the problem, it may be sizing the neck too much making it difficult to pull over the neck expander, size a case without the
expander then check the inside diameter of the case neck is should not be any smaller than about .270-.272, if it's smaller then the die is at fault.
Also look at the finish of the expander if it is rough it can be polished or lee may replace it.
And as has been said, a good lube helps a lot.
To keep the case from pulling out the expander stim, tighten the lock nut a little more.

smax

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tonight I am going to check the mandrel portion of the stem to see if I may need to polish it and I will run some brass in the die without the stem to see how small it is sizing it. Thanks for the input guys.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It may also be a botched die. I got a RCBS .308 sizing die that seemed perfect for the first 90% of the stroke, and the last 10% would either destroy my brass or get stuck really bad. I never could get brass far enough in it to deprime. In my experience it doesn't happen very often, but bad dies are out there.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
try adjusting your die back up a little and run it as a neck sizing die. I would be willing to bet it is over doing the resizing as it is currently set up.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
just back that die up a few turns. I bet if you check the size of the neck hole once you have sized at the current die depth the die is making the hole too small to fit the projectiles in easily. I am also willing to bet that if you back that die back a few turns that you get the die to just barely hold the projectile. The sizing die should just reshape the neck and get it back to proper size where the projectile doesnt fall into the brass.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look at the expander ball on the decapper. I got one Lee die that the decapper ball had sharp edges and looked unfinished, oversized.
I ground a taper on it, finished it to correct size and polished it. Just lube inside the neck and now it works correctly.
You might try getting Lee to replace or fix yours?

Latest posts

Top Bottom