Progressives Seek To Ban Private Schools And Homeschooling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why does it have to be either/or?

I have 3 children ages 5 and under, so as we look towards school I will be sending them to Crosstimbers in Edmond (One of the best in the State) and I will simply BE INVOLVED. I'll follow their progress and help in any areas that my Children may need.

I will also subsidize public school curriculum with subjects that I feel are important (Logic, physics, Finance, Business and Theology)

It will also be easy to do extra learning experiences during the Summer when they are home from school.

Seems simple enough to me.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've known a couple of homeschooled kids who couldn't read at 14. That's child abuse.

And I've known a couple from the public system who couldn't read, but had their high school diploma. One was over 20 and trying to learn to read; he was embarassed, but still asked me for help. Tulsa Webster High School grad, for the record. I gave him big kudos for his efforts at doing what the public schools (and initialy, he himself) failed to do.

And it's interesting how the group here has done a complete leap over private schooling, and went straight on the attack of homeschooling. So tell me all: would you rate public school as a better learning experience and learning environment over private? I sure as hell wouldn't.

underpar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ways and means of a child's education should always be determined by the parents.

My wife and I struggled with this issue for a while. We attend a large church with a diverse congregation, children attending public, private, and home schools. This allowed us to observe numerous children and their interaction with others over a lengthy period of time. We came to the conclusion that we would make any financial cuts necessary to insure that our children would be educated in a private, Christian school. As of right now, might be the best decision we have ever made as parents!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I have seen far more failures to educate from public school then I have from private or homeschooling but there is a difference. In most of the public school failures it has not been the teachers fault but the systems. In most of the private and homeschooling failures it is the teachers.

Of course it will be the "teachers" in homeschooling failures - they are the "system".

Especially since it hinges on homeschooling meaning that the entire education process takes place at home. Anecdotally, most homeschoolers I know have regular "field trips" for their kids to places like the Zoo, Omniplex, museums, art galleries, gallery at the State Capitol, nature parks, public college lectures, etc.

Plus, the education can actually be tailored for the child.

It's up to the family. There are sports, field trips, support groups, at one time I even participated in a group classes on Chemistry and Spanish.

Homeschooling is fine, for some. I think too many people assume that parents are automatically qualified to school their children. They aren't. Nor does everyone make a good parent just because they can have kids.

I personally know some (yes, more than one family) who home-school their children and they are as dumb as a box of rocks. Their children are not up to par with most public schooled children of their own age, and it's at no fault of the kids.

So, what's the solution?

Options. Truth be told, those kids who are most likely to fail, it probably has far more to do with their home than how they're schooled. If the parents are very encouraging towards education, and put a lot of time and care into it, it probably doesn't make a lick of difference whether they're educated in a public, private, or home school. Those parents who don't care, and don't stress the importance of education; the children will be more likely to fail regardless of source of education.

My sister home schools, I have mixed feelings. My 11 and 9 year olds go to public school and they read at high school or above levels.

It may "tired", but it's true. These kids can't deal with peer pressure, bullying or any of the other BS that goes on throughout life. My kids are taught at school and my wife and I reinforce it at home. Public school is not perfect, but neither is home school. If you do a great job home schooling, then great, but most people don't.

It's not entirely true. It's one factor in the equation. It's also not absolute; just because one is homeschooled does not mean they have no social skills. Vice versa, you can't tell me that 100% of the kids in public school settings are "taught" to deal with peer pressure, bullying and "other BS". Arguing social skills is completely separate from academic skills. And it certainly can be argued.

Anecdotal evidence doesn't make fact. So far your data set is 1. One single family and you proclaim that "most people don't" do a good job at homeschooling.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Veggie, I am with you there. I made Cs in school, Cs in college without even going to class. Seriously, I just didn't go, never bought books, just took the tests and made Cs. I was bored. Why apply yourself if you could pass without the effort.

For the record- I fully support the right to home school, 100%. I just don't think it is for everybody.

Agreed. But again, your argument against is 100% reversible towards public schooling.

Latest posts

Top Bottom