Propane to Charcoal (for BBQing)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bumping this thread back alive.

I have been 💯 charcoal for the past 10 years. For 9-10 months of the year we grill 3+ times a week. My 9 yo Weber kettle is getting tired (grates have all been replaced several times but the brackets holding the charcoal grate have disintegrated)and the wife suggested a new grill for Father’s Day. My first though was get another kettle but walking around the local Ace hardware store had me lifting the lids on some propane grills.

I do love the flavor that charcoal brings but the convenience of propane has my attention. Plus charcoal seems to have gotten more expensive and coming in smaller bags. The 2 bag pack of kingsford for $20 has gotten lighter and lighter…. I go through a bag rather quickly. The last time I filled a propane bottle for the patio heater it was under $15.

If I go charcoal there’s no doubt another Weber will fill the bill. If I go gas, I know Weber is the cats meow but damn are they pricey. What other brand is worth considering?
You get what you pay for when using charcoal. Wouldn’t use anything but Weber products

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Went to a Weber charcoal about ten years ago. Check out the one Ace has. It’s a heavy duty model that used to only be made for them. Heavier wheels, thermometer, lid hanger etc. It’s a little pricey but worth it.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a pellet cooker too but it’s long gone. I’ll compare my charcoal cooked food to ANYONES pellets propane or natural gas any day with co pretend confidence
I agree with you. I will NOT be getting rid of my BGE and using lump charcoal. Sometimes I just want to throw some burgers or hot links on and eat real quick. Pellet grill is satisfactory for that and better than gas. I think I'll keep both.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had all of them except the ceramic or BGE and much prefer the offset smoker. However, I don't have one right now. Borrowed from a friend a nice large heavy one in 2001 and about 2018 he decided he wanted it back. 🤷‍♂️

Currently have a nice Weber Gass grill that hasn't been used in 3 or 4 years.

Reluctantly bought a pellet grill on sale at Atwoods about 4 years ago and use it quite a bit. It is so simple to use and does a great job cooking. Just doesn't do a great job smoking, even with the smoke tubes. Prefer it to gas though. Used it a few days ago.

Best I have right now is the Weber Kettle and lump charcoal. Used it last week also to grill. Smoking takes more prep and a small cooking space but will do a great job.

They all have advantages, just depends on the situation.

fishincoop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You’ll fight the “grill” issue all your life trying to have 1 grill for everything, kinda like finding 1 boat for family, fishing, lake, saltwater. IMO the only option is:
1718025472239.jpeg

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went to a Weber charcoal about ten years ago. Check out the one Ace has. It’s a heavy duty model that used to only be made for them. Heavier wheels, thermometer, lid hanger etc. It’s a little pricey but worth it.
That’s the one I have. It also has the small propane bottle to help with lighting too

Latest posts

Top Bottom