Proposed Baiting Regulation Changes for ODWC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't hunt public land so it's no concern to me.
if you don't oppose it I'll work to get it banned on your land.

You ever heard the old story: go ahead and take away the machineguns its no concern to me, I shoot a shotgun.
Later, go ahead take away the handguns its no concern to me, I shoot a shotgun.
Later, go ahead take away the rifles its no concern to me, I shoot a shotgun.
Help,Help where is everybody? they're here to take away my shotgun.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i do'nt hunt much on public land but i agree with you on this.i have hunted a few times on public land and put out some corn,did'nt kill a deer but it was just because nothing was big enough,but watching the deer,birds,coons,come in was fun to watch,and this my opion and i am sure i will catch some flak over this on our public land the people in charge have to be the worst farmers Thats not the right word i guess steward of the land,they never have good food plots for the wildlife,they plant to late in the fall and most do'nt plant anything in the spring,i do'nt know what the problem is if it is funds or just being lazy and not getting the work done.and the want to get our input on this,but what about running cattle on our public land nobody ask if that was ok with us hunters,most of the public land would hold more deer and other wildlife if they done a better job of planting for wildlife,what happens in most places they have crappy food plots and the private land owners plant good food crops on the places that join them and pull deer off the public land onto the private land where there is better food plots

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Deer 24/7, I agree with you completely on the land stewardship/food plots etc on public land. They are either nonexistent or even if they are planted, are so poor that nothing could possibly gain any nutritional value from them. At least the ones I have seen.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Food Plots do not help herd health any more than a corn feeder does. They just help concentrate deer to make it easier on hunters. There is nothing that a food plot offers in the way of nourishment that a deer can not find else where. Yes it is an easy food source and more nutritious than a corn pile, but that is it. A deer can get all the nourishment that a winter food plot offers from native vegetation. Fall/Winter Food plots on Public land are there to please the hunter and nothing more.

Furthermore, do you really want to see your dollars at work by purchasing high priced seeds??? Even after the tough summer that we had, all the WMA's I visited had food plots that were viable and would readily draw deer in.

I would rather see my dollars go to work with purchasing new land, purchasing burn equipment to manage land on a large scale, to pay contracts to remove cedars/other invasive, fund another controlled hunt, fund more research. Seed for a "prettier" food plot would be last on my list of desires when it came to budgeting for wildlife management.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So did this pass or has it even been voted on? I couldn't find anything on it.

Looks like they were not voted on in the February commission meeting. I would guess that it will go in front of the March commission meeting. If it makes it to the commission meeting. The ODWC only puts laws in front of them that they have decided to try and get passed once the public comments period has passed.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
fishfurlife, I see your point, but this thread is titled Proposed Baiting Regulation Changes for ODWC and the fact that many people wish to continue to bait on public lands. I have never baited on public land, but I am not against it either. I understand you don't like it, I think all DEER24/7 and I are saying is that, if like you say, the only reason the food plots are planted on WMA's are to please hunters, then they are doing a poor job. In my opinion, if they are going to bother planting them, they ought to at least try to make them decent and something that might draw and hold more deer on public land, especially if they do away with all baiting on public land.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will try to find a few pictures that I have taken of deer on WMA food plots while I was hunting. I have counted 30 deer on a food plot in the late archery season that wasn't even 2 acres.

What exactly is your definition of "decent".

If there is green growing, it doesn't matter how tall or dense it is, the deer will use it and be drawn to it. You don't see deer on these food plots very regularly during the daylight hours though. There are only a few things that I can guarantee about deer hunting on WMA's. You are 100 times more likely to find a deer hunter on public land at a food plot. This alone will keep deer away from the food plots in the daylight hours (regardless of how good the food plot is).

I am not against food plots at all. I have had some good hunts over them in the early and late season. I love them the rest of the season as well because they make a great magnet for hunters that don't seem to be able to function without knowing that there is a food plot to hunt over.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ouch! How did you know I was drawn like a magnet to those food plots? LOL...seriously, I am not one of those guys that sees a food plot on public land and thinks "damn, that would be a great place to hunt." I don't know which WMA's you are going to but I have never seen a food plot that would provide ANY food on the ones I have gone to out west, so maybe my blanket statement is limited by my lack of experience on other WMA's. I have killed some deer on public, including a nice 8 point 2 years ago. I just think that if they are going to spend the time and money to plant plots, then they ought to consist of more than an acre or so of the cheapest winter wheat they can find. Of course, I don''t know what limitations ODWC is under as far as who plants them, who works the ground, or how much time and money they have allocated to planting them.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of course, I don''t know what limitations ODWC is under as far as who plants them, who works the ground, or how much time and money they have allocated to planting them.

The people planting the actual food plots are the Biologists and technicians. There is some Co-op farming done on a few WMA's. If it is a big field then it is most likely a co-op field.

As for food out west, these are out west WMA food plot deer. Along with the last picture being out west.

i552.photobucket.com_albums_jj351_fishfurlife_buck8.jpg

i552.photobucket.com_albums_jj351_fishfurlife_buck6.jpg

This was a cool food plot that was set up to keep the deer out until things were mature enough to be eaten and also keep the deer out of it long enough to allow hunters to get a chance to use it during season. Otherwise, the deer might have cleaned it all up before season. I killed a doe in this field right before muzzleloader season. Food was plentiful. This fencing method seemed to really work. I believe it is a method recommended by Galllagher.
i552.photobucket.com_albums_jj351_fishfurlife_WFK.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom