Proposed change to Classified Rules

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should the minimum number of posts to access the Classifieds be raised?

• Yes, it should be raised to 100.

Votes: 151 63.2%
  • No, JB, leave it alone.

Votes: 88 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I personally think a contribution to the site is in order. Not meaning monetarily but either through offering a service or information.

The use of the classifieds here is a benefit from being a member. Many members here ONLY use the classifieds and could not care less for the community that provides the classifieds.

The classifieds section here is a success from not only a gun demographic that makes for easy buying and selling but because there is a very large level of trust and confidence that fellow members will not screw each other. People that use that trust and this site to selfishly capitalize without giving back to this community in some way to me are nothing more than scum and are malignant to the benefit of this site and the gun community as a whole.

I know some people do more reading than posting, but to me that means more taking than giving and those people should not have access to the fringe benefits of a giving charitable community. Thats what Armslist and GunBroker is for.

Afterall JB, IS this a community? Or is this a cutthroat capitalist marketplace?

HippyG22M3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been here from the start but this is only my 172nd post, I do browse everyday, I just don't post much.

I like Dustin's idea plus the 50 posts and a month or two of time.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
100 sounds good, but 50 sounds better. Myself my posting is cyclical. Due to my profession Im home sometimes for a month or so and I can post all hours of the day and night, then Im gone for months at a time and can only post with either my phone or laptop in the hotel while out working. I did sell something once to someone, not saying who it is, who just barely had their 20 in and I thought long and hard about it before the FTF about if we would only see them in the WTBs or Classifieds later plus they had made a little controversy with a certain post but then I went ahead and did the deal and sure enough afterwards they went on to post more and more. I also remember having just a few more than my first 100 in before I went to the Classifieds to sell something for the first time. Im glad it was to a real old timer around here too who took a chance on me cause people didnt list feedback then like we do now.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about new members being required to request the ability to post in the classifieds? That gives the mods an opportunity to evaluate the contributions that the member is making to the community. Kind of a quality over quantity thing.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like a lengthened time requirement.

I also want to see stronger enforcement against those who don't contribute any posts except to the Classifieds or Member Feedback. It's supposed to be a privilege for contributing members, or so I thought. If 80% of your posts are classifieds related, you aren't a contributing member. I see guys with 99% classifieds related posts.

I also like the classifieds being hidden unless you are logged in and hidden from those who haven't been granted Classifieds access.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I, also, believe it should be based on the quality of the posts, and not just the quantity.

There should be some meaningful contribution to the forums, and not just ridiculous posts to reach the minimum.

There needs to be a review of the posts content, before access to the classifieds is granted

Time since joining should also matter, perhaps 60 days.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been a member of this site for awhile now and I don't post a lot, I' ve more so this year, but I'm on here every day. I think raising the post count to 100 is a little excessive. How about 50 posts and be a member for 3 months?

I like this.

I will say though. Seems like I had less than 5 posts when I bought my first item out of the classifieds thru PM. I had been a member for a couple of months just didn't have the post count. So I don't have any room to talk. For the longest time I never even went to the General discussion area. I just checked out the firearm threads and didn't post much.

There also is not any reason you can't impose your own restrictions about who you sell to. Require a minimum post count in your classified ad. I see a couple of people have required that you posese CCW in the sale add.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd rather see time on the forum as the requirement vs post count.

We have enough people here putting 1 word "comments" on threads to increase post count.

Latest posts

Top Bottom