Quail Sightings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just this afternoon I heard someone say this was the best year for quail in the last 20 years. Has anyone else heard that? I can't attest to it, as I don't exactly live in prime quail territory (the turkeys would probably eat them ;) ).

That was from an Okla Dept of Wildlife quail report.

I think its been proven that turkey are not detrimental to a quail population. There was a lot of argument about it back in the day, one way and then the other.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think its been proven that turkey are not detrimental to a quail population. There was a lot of argument about it back in the day, one way and then the other.
That was a joke. I'd never heard anything about turkeys being detrimental to quail, I was just talking about the huge, absolutely unconcerned birds that like to wander around my property. I think they may be keeping the coyote population in check...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That was a joke. I'd never heard anything about turkeys being detrimental to quail, I was just talking about the huge, absolutely unconcerned birds that like to wander around my property. I think they may be keeping the coyote population in check...

Oh yeah, the topic of turkey eating quail eggs and those at bumblebee size has been a big thing for a long time. Mostly by quail hunters seeing a decline in quail numbers while turkey numbers continue to improve.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
back in the 80's when the quail were everywhere. There was no cattle egrets. All of sudden in the 90's started seeing cattle egrets everywhere you look and a lot of them. Now our quail are coming back. Guess what I hardly ever see any cattle egrets anymore I don't know why but they are not around like they use to be. I am not saying that's what happen to the quail but I seen years ago cattle egrets chasing and catching baby quail . I have been seeing a few dog boxes in the back of trucks sure like seeing that.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i thought the rumors of 50 bird coveys was a bunch of hogwash until my buddy said he got up two coveys that size.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Hunter orange sucked this covey right into range this morning lol.

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20151124_075702_zpsbnr6da74.jpg

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I should have saved the pics. I had 10-15 quail on my trail cam in southeast Kansas. Pretty cool to see these birds make a comeback.

Latest posts

Top Bottom