Quality lever action 22 rifle, Suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyRocco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Henry's can be good or bad. One son has a golden boy that will shoot anything, never jams. I bought a new blue hex barrel Henry, and it jammed most every time. It would break the lead off of the round. The factory did rework it quickly and free of charge, even paid ups postage both ways. Now, both work excellent. They are heavy, but that is a plus for us.

SABOT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a Winchester 94 and love it. Action is smooth as butter and very accurate. I had the chance, a few years ago, to buy one in 22 Mag. I've been kicking myself ever since for passing on the opportunity.

My brother has a Browning BL-22 which he likes very much as well. Both of these fine weapons have served us well Squirrel/Rabbit hunting and plinking for over 20 years.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Though I am quite fond of the 39A, my ex-FIL has an Ithaca lever that is a great little rifle. I can't really think of a "bad" .22 lever at the moment. They all seem to eat about anything they are fed and keep coming back for more.

pktrkt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've had great results with a Henry large lever carbine. S-L-LR all feed and function fine. Word to metal fit is superb, accuracy is very good. The Marlin is good also just hard to find, Browning is good also but again also hard to find. So loving the Henry as it was available.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input! I still haven't settled on exactly what I want but the positive comments about the Browning has me leaning that way. For some reason though, I'm drawn to the Henry Goldenboy. Maybe because its SHINEY...like a bug to a light. Ha ha

Anyway, I'm keeping my options open and looking out for a good deal. I just want to be educated on my options so I know what a good deal is when I get it in front of me.

Thanks again!

Z71

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Winchester 94/22 XTR M(.22 mag)...a standard Henry H001 Henry .22..and a Browning BLR-22

I really like the Winchester and the Henry better than the BLR-22...Don't get me wrong..the Browning is a nice reliable accurate little rifle(belonged to my father)..however for iron-sight shooting the ergonomics of the Browning is such that you have to really scrunch-down on the stock to use the sights...and the rear sight is a folding job about like on a Ruger 10-22 except the Browning sight folds down too easy(probably just an issue with this particular sight/rifle)...Putting a scope on the Browning gets the line of sight up where it needs to be...but because the Browning has some really skimpy grooves on the receiver...sometimes the scope will just come off!..have to have a set of really 'sharp' mounts to keep the mounts on the receiver. The triggerpull could be better on the Browning...

Other than that...the Browning is fine..but I do like the much cheaper Henry better...my brother is a Marlin 39 fan...claims they are best.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Z71...great input. I too have been looking for a good lever .22 and had been looking at the Browning. My preference is no scopes on levers and you have told me a lot!! I am working on a collection of revolvers and levers in like calibers and need the .22 lever. Also want a 3screw .357 Blackhawk but that is another thread.

Coonskinner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a BLR-22 that I have packed around since I was 12 years old.

It is a sweet little rifle and I have put many thousands of rounds through it.

Its compact size and short lever throw make it as handy as the pocket on a shirt.

But the action on the Henrys are smoother.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The sights and scope rail on the Browning are things I have not considered up to this point. I certainly appreciate that information.

Latest posts

Top Bottom