Quality lever action 22 rifle, Suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Z71

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really, really wish my Winchester 94/22 was a .22 long rifle rifle instead of a .22 magnum!!...It's sort of beat-up...but a superb shooting little rifle anyhow.

I also wish I had a Marlin .22 levergun...everybody that has one just raves about how sweet they are!

That said...I'm not sure what a standard Henry .22 lever action costs now(mine cost $189 new)...but it's a decent and nice shooting piece of hardware. It does however got some plastic and potmetal involved(Receiver is alloy...barrel bands/front sight plastic)..the rest is walnut and steel. Same basic gun as Ithaca and Erma marketed for years.

The Winchester and the Henry receivers have more substantial grooves on the receiver..and will hold a scope easily.

That's about all I know about .22 leverguns...and I really don't want to knock the Browning..it is a sweet gun...but I would handle one before buying one. For iron sights it may not fit everybody...and that trigger!!...maybe other BLR-22 rifles have better triggers...but mine is stiff enough to require some effort to keep the shots where I want them.

Tin Star Firearms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My family is on their third Browning BL-22. The first one was owned by my oldest brother and was stolen over twenty years ago. He got a replacement and has been using it ever since. I have had mine since 1993 and it is just perfect. No hiccups with anything from CB caps to Mini-Mags. Super accurate and the short throw lever is nice. I have never thought of putting a scope on it.

Andrew

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Re-reading this thread caused me to get my '56 Marlin 39A Mountie (shorter barrel, straight grip) out of the safe for some fondling. It would honestly be the last .22 rifle I would ever part with.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a Winchester XTR that I bought new but have regrettably since sold it. I also had an older Marlin that I let go. I currently have a Browning that is nice. Of the 3 mentioned, I would would recommend all but I think the Marlin may be a little heavier but without all them to compare, I'm not certain.

Leggett71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Marlin 39M is a bit lighter than the 39A and straight stocked like the Browning or Winchester and both 39's are a very fine rifle. Have shot the both of them for near 50 years never a problem. Very simple to disassemble for a young shooter to learn proper rifle care & cleaning.

Leggett

Latest posts

Top Bottom