Quality vs. Quantity

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quality or Quantity

• Quality

Votes: 80 40.6%
  • Quantity

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • Little bit of both

Votes: 110 55.8%

• Total voters

Cowboy2000

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Expensive. I stay with glocks. I know they work every time. I do hate a cheap lousy gun. But I can't afford the best of the best. Ammo costs will blow out of you out of the water.

trickydick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody who say's "you get what ya pay for" must have hundreds of thousands of dollars in guns. Why would you buy that cheap wilson when could spend acouple thousand more and get a nighthawk custom or something of higher "quality". Why would ya put up with that cheap old crappy benelli when you could drop 100k on a nice set of matched italian shotguns?

ttownokie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, it is much like collecting anything, you eventually find out you would be better off if you just saved for the high quality stuff, and didn't waste your money on numerous deals that you couldn't pass up or just to add to the collection.

dwkennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get both.

For example:

My Marlin 60 is cheep, but shoots great and is a lot of fun. I don't get all twitchy when I get a scratch on it. You take it out in the woods it will happen eventually.

My CZ 452 is expensive, but shoots great and is a lot of fun. I think the magazines I ordered cost half as much as the Marlin 60 did. It serves a different purpose than the Marlin.

Edit to add: if I had a gun that doesn't shoot great and/or is a lot of fun, it's going to get fixed or get thrown in the trash can ;D

Last edited:

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody who say's "you get what ya pay for" must have hundreds of thousands of dollars in guns. Why would you buy that cheap wilson when could spend acouple thousand more and get a nighthawk custom or something of higher "quality". Why would ya put up with that cheap old crappy benelli when you could drop 100k on a nice set of matched italian shotguns?

There are people that do precisely that...you see it in Jewelry (I have a friend with a $1M watch collection) Cars (I know plenty of guys with $1M collections) Houses (Again, plenty with $1M+ Houses)

So, just because you can't afford it doesn't mean that their aren't PLENTY of people that have the "Best of the Best"

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
I probably have to clarify what a some in this thread talk about. This post is pretty good explaining the mechanics of owning a gun.

There are a lot of really reliable rack guns out there, but they do have a little history of some working good, some having problems.

You don't care what the wood looks like, you want it to go boom every time you fire the trigger. As it should.

If one were in a house with two guns laying on the kitchen table, one being a Kimber/wilson, and the other being a hipoint, and bubba was coming in the door, which gun would you grab first?

The closest loaded one. I'm not picky.
First and foremost, a quality gun is one that works every time. It doesn't matter who made it or what options it has. At 20 feet, it doesn't matter if it shoots 2" groups or 8" groups. They both still hit the target area. Those of you who will chime in that this will clearly miss the head shot are too high speed low drag for your own good.

Toowork

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The closest loaded one. I'm not picky.
First and foremost, a quality gun is one that works every time. It doesn't matter who made it or what options it has. At 20 feet, it doesn't matter if it shoots 2" groups or 8" groups. They both still hit the target area. Those of you who will chime in that this will clearly miss the head shot are too high speed low drag for your own good.

I second this statement. If it keeps me and the family safe the weapon has done it's job.
Reliability to me is the #1 issue.
I have seen high priced guns that I wouldn't trust and ones I would not think to ever pick up, for fear of tetanus, that would never miss a beat.
I believe sometimes great quality costs extra, but too often quality is a much different scale to different people.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is a toss up. I would say both but I tend to have the lower end. I do have a Colt Gold Cup National Match in bright stainless which is no where near high end but for me it is too pretty to shoot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom