Question for Pilots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of you might remember that I have a novel on kindle and I have been helped by forum members in the past. I ask for help from you good folks once more.

When a two-engine aircraft loses its' port engine or wing does it veer right or left? Obviously, it goes down but does it go right or left?

I'm working on a story about terrorism.

Thanks.

ICanFixIt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It will veer toward the side that lost power. So, in your case if it looses the port engine it will veer to port (or left).

Last edited:

DA 20

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of you might remember that I have a novel on kindle and I have been helped by forum members in the past. I ask for help from you good folks once more.

When a two-engine aircraft loses its' port engine or wing does it veer right or left? Obviously, it goes down but does it go right or left?

I'm working on a story about terrorism.

Thanks.
If you lose your port (left) engine it veers to the left. Dead foot dead engine. If you just lose an engine it does not mean you are going to crash immediately. With a trained pilot and properly loaded aircraft you can fly until you run out of fuel, but the best thing to do is land at the first good airport. I flew a Fairchild F 27 for more than 25 minutes on one engine until I could get an ILS into St. Louis.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My buddy flies one occasionally and I can confirm if needed, because I asked him once lol. Because of the prop rotation, losing the left prop results in greater steering issues vs losing the right. It doesn't go down, handling characteristics are much different when landing though.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks so much, folks. The story is coming along nicely and the first part concerns a hijacking of a Boeing 737. The second part concerns the bad guy's revenge for the good guy thwarting their plans.

A tentative title is Jihad. It is not nearly as long as The Pale Horse.

Latest posts

Top Bottom