Rear end squat Towing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buddy just left here in a 4X4 2018 F250 Diesel Ford truck.
He pulled up to my body lifted 1980 C20 3/4 ton Chevy and those 2 trucks are within an inch of the same height.

Now I got a tape measure in hand and had him measure rear bumper height on the driver side and then i put my 220 lb button the rear bumper on driver side and it went down 3/4 of an inch.

OK now the F250 that has leaf springs also but he wedged rubber between the overload and the springs above it so overloads come in instantly.
I taught him that.
Anyway the F250 squatted 1/2".

Nice and now onto the talk about car my 1957 chevy 4 door that pulls a pontoon with 300 lb tongue weight.

That 57 Chevy squatted 3/4" with me on it same as my 3/4 Ton Chevy truck.
I have the original leafs and some Chevy truck leafs under the '57.

Fun with numbers is all.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My friend that was helping me almost air bagged his last Ford tuck because it squatted so bad.
I told him about cutting tire sidewalls from junk tires and slipping them between the leafs when you jack up the rear of the truck by the body to get the leafs to spread apart some.

He did the F150 he had and loved it.
He builds buildings for TUFF SHED and is always loaded heavy.
Guys at the business seen how his truck was now riding level and said I see you bagged it finally.

Nope Not Bagged.
He did his current F250 in the above we tested.
The Front brakes would be worn out on that 2010 F150 every month.
The New F250 no issues

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 2020 F-250 squats a bit when putting 1400 or so pounds of pin weight on the gooseneck hitch. Had airbags put on it before I ever drove it because under 5th wheel loads, the bags with 45lbs of air improve the ride tremendously.
Riding on air is preferable to riding on springs.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ran 120 psi in my 82 mustang rear air shocks when i went to load hauling.
Hauled 45 Car batteries in the hatchback trunk once.
That was a tick over your 1400 lbs.
But I only had city roads to travel and less than 40 miles.

My 1947 Dodge truck of all things is sprung light and is on the snubbers at 1200 lbs.
Ford truck springs.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 2001 f350 srw takes 4000# over the rear axle to put it level on the stock springs, no bags, no rubber between the springs!

Was at a auction a few years back, carrying a big Cincinatti horizontal mill with the overhead crane, getting ready to load it in the bed of my truck when some guy there says "I bet that will make it squat!", I said, nope, it should put it about level.

I dont think he believed me until I lowerd it in and started tying it down!

961B3244-A1F9-463A-947B-F7203A6A0A5D.jpeg

I alway get a laugh at the folks that put leveling kits on their trucks, then the minute they hook a trailer on or pit a few pounds in the bed they are staring at the sky! 😂

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom