Reloading woes...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shooter00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So after a bit of hiatus, I dusted off the reloading gear for the old .300 WM. I had a disaster sighting in for elk a couple of years ago, bad powder/load combo and -17 degrees didn't work out too well, so back to the bench.

I'm working on a 168gr Barnes TSX with IMR 4831, CCI 250 LMR. After two dozen rounds, stepping up every .5 grs, with some OAL adjustment, I still can't get under 1 MOA. I know my rifle is capable, the load that didn't work in the hills ran great down here, 3/4" groups at 200 (I have the pics to prove it!).

I did put the factory stock back on, -my question is - can that change open those groups up that much? I have a Mcmillan fiberglass stock thats floated and receiver bedded, the stock stock is a Boyt that has minimal bedding, and not too much float.

I'm really needing to get to the bottom of this lack of accuracy, and I don't want to spend a lot of time and $$$ scattering bullets downrange for nothing.

What to do?? Any suggestions?

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to think for the price of a good stock it would make some difference, but as long as all your loads are consistant, the accuracy should follow. In my mind the most important steps in reloading for accuracy are:

1} consistent powder charge
2}consistent seat length
3}and one of the most important IMO is consistant crimp (or lack there of)

I know this may sound like basics, but when you just can't figure somthing out, its always a good idea to go back to the basics

I should also add, and I mean this with the most respect, is there any chance the shooter may have had a bad day?

Lots of things to factor in there: How windy was it, what kind of rest were you using, were you using tobacco while you were shooting, were you tired, the list goes on and on. I know I have my good days and bad days.

Shooter00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to think for the price of a good stock it would make some difference, but as long as all your loads are consistant, the accuracy should follow. In my mind the most important steps in reloading for accuracy are:

1} consistent powder charge
2}consistent seat length
3}and one of the most important IMO is consistant crimp (or lack there of)

I know this may sound like basics, but when you just can't figure somthing out, its always a good idea to go back to the basics

I should also add, and I mean this with the most respect, is there any chance the shooter may have had a bad day?

Lots of things to factor in there: How windy was it, what kind of rest were you using, were you using tobacco while you were shooting, were you tired, the list goes on and on. I know I have my good days and bad days.

Gotcha - 1. Measured everyload. Trickled to exact.
2. Digital calipers, measured everyone.
3. No crimp, TSX doesn't require. All cases were full length resized, trimmed, uniformed, and so on.

Shooting from a bench on bags...

No wind, in fact I stapled a red shop rag on a tree at the target to see it blow. No aiming oil or snuff, it was a good day, too. Shot the .22 with my son between loads to let the .300 barrel cool out. Shooting spinner targets, off hand with iron sights at 65 yards and nailing them with two different rifles! Good day!

I think I've made everything as consistant as possible, from cleaning and fouling the bore to my loads. I even measured the bullets and grouped them! These were my 168.1gr bullets - I'm a little OCD when it comes to working a load. And I've not had trouble like this before, so it's really frustrating.

I'm thinking it's got to be the stock. If next group doesn't tighen up, I'll have the throat and bore checked.

Thanks!

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On your sizing die does it use an expander ball that final sizes the neck? if you're not using bushing dies without an expander ball you're wasting your time doing much other "match" reloading. Those basic dies really suck on the neck.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Basics not mentioned yet:
1) Are the cases weight-sorted?
2) Have they been fired multiple times and not annealed?
3) Have you checked the runout - maybe the chamber is a bit "off" and likes only virgin brass

Not bedded stock will be very sensitive to action screw torque - both POI and accuracy.

Some guns just don't like certain bullet or powder - no matter how hard you try.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My first question is, Why did you put it back in the factory stock? And, yes, it can make that much difference. Then, like somebody said, back to basics. Is everything tight? Personally, I would put it back in the McMillan stock, be sure everything is tightened properly (bedding screws and scope rings and bases) and shoot it again. Not another two dozen rounds. Pick the load that shot best and put three to five more down the tube. That should tell you if you've gained anything. If not, I would probably be trying a different powder.

Latest posts

Top Bottom